• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Biting Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. The main reason I ended up here was to get some advice on a guinea pig that I have had for exactly one year.

If you can help, I will briefly fill you in on some basic information.

My boyfriend and I got our first pig together after New Years in 2009. He is amazing, and I love him. My boyfriend ended up getting me another pig for my birthday last year late November. He is so adorable, but such a pain! The two pigs got along okay at first, you know, the usual introduction. One day I came home and found the newest addition had a gouge on one of his eyes. I treated it immediately and properly, and it ended up healing perfectly fine. He now only has a small battle scar. I got him his own cage and separated the two A.S.A.P.. Sometimes they get along together. Mainly whenever they are outside of their comfort zone. Anyhow, I still have them caged separately since they will not be friends.

Now my biggest concern. When I got my guinea pig for my birthday, I held him and he was so docile, so calm, and very affectionate! But ever since we brought him home, he is pure evil. I swear he is Satan in desguise! Anytime I try to pick him up and hold him, he bites me. Hard. I mean, VERY hard. He has drawn blood on me several times. This is so frustrating, and it is complicated to enjoy him like I do the other pig. If I hold the other pig, I will lay with him, he falls asleep with me, licks me and just is a sweet handsome man. I feel bad for the biting pig, so I hold him too. Not a minute in to holding him, I've been bitten several times, each bite hurting worse. I let him run around sometimes. But I usually put him back in his cage. He looks at me with sad eyes and it kills me to know that he's trying to love me, but doesn't show it very well.

Please, can anyone help me. Any information, advice, or suggestions will be extremely helpful. Thank you so much! :)

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
have you tried giving him a treat when your holding him? I got 3 boys and I had some trouble with 2 of them, they hated staying still when on my lap, 1 of them also gave me a couple nibbles on my fingers to put him down etc so I decided to stop picking them up for a while but hand fed them and stroke them in their home so they were comfortable with me then gave it ago picking them up and gave them yummy food as treat - so far everythings going good, my nibbler actually snuggles himself under my chin then sleeps lol. hope that helps

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Is it worth taking him to a guinea competent vet and having him checked out? It maybe that something is hurting him when you pick him up/handle him? Piggies are usually very lovable but if something is bothering them then the only way they can tell you is by nibbling or biting. It may just be his way of saying 'oi that hurts!'.

Worth thinking about?

One or two suggestions for you.

When you hold him, cover him in a towel or allow him to hide somehow - piggies don't like to be exposed and he may be uncertain about being held because of this. (Aeriel predators)

Does he bite when touched in a certain place? That goes along with the vet visit suggestion.

Try filling his mouth with something nice and cuddle him then. It's hard for any piggy to really get a good bite into you when their mouth is stuffed with cucumber! Make the cuddles short and sweet, lots of similar noises and loads of treats that he really likes. Make him want to be cuddled!

If the cuddling really isn't going anywhere then try spending time with him roaming on the floor with you - get down to his level and sit with him, lie down with your head on a pillow even. (watch telly, read a book, send a text or two, just be there for him to explore) Let him wander around you, talk to him, let him encounter you on his terms and grow in confidence. It may be that he simply doesn't want to be picked up now that he's a big boy. I don't know. But do try to engage with your piggie in other ways - it sounds as though he isn't standoffish and wants to know you. Build up a bond between you. You may find that what he wants to do is simply snuggle in next to you, he may want to climb on your legs and lie down there. Be patient, it may take a few tries before he even comes over to see you, but you have years to get this relationship ok again.

Wishing you all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.