Biting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just been having a bit of lap time with Milly and Molly and Molly has bitten me to the point of drawing blood. I don't think I was doing anything to upset her, Milly had been having a little sniff and very gentle nibble of my finger then Molly came along had a sniff I thought she was gonna have a little gentle nibble but she bit hard. She wasn't on anyones lap at the time, they were both just wondering around on the sofa.

Any reason she would do this? Could it have just been an accident?

It's just I've got two kids (5 and 3) and I obviously don't want them to get bitten.

Reaction score
I'm curious too. I've got my first piggies and I've been nipped once or twice (not to the point of drawing blood, but boy, these girls can hang on!)

I know with mice, they like to nibble your fingers to kind of figure out what your finger is. Guinea Pigs are larger, so maybe their nibbles are larger too.

I don't know how to stop it, but I guess one good tip that goes for mice can go for Guinea Pigs too: wash your hands before handling them, in case your fingers have any scents or oils left over from handling food, which might "encourage" said critter to nibble.

Reaction score
I don't know how to stop it, but I guess one good tip that goes for mice can go for Guinea Pigs too: wash your hands before handling them, in case your fingers have any scents or oils left over from handling food, which might "encourage" said critter to nibble.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

I maybe shouldn't have put my finger out ripe for the picking :)

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine have only bitten when they want a wee and I haven't noticed them fidgeting, or when they hurt - I was holding Bumble so a child could stroke him and said child was a tad overenthusiastic, Bumble took it out on my arm.

Maybe your finger looked like a carrot?! Not used too much fake tan have you?!

Hehe xx

Reaction score
Just had another bite on the arm. Have to keep her out of the way of the kids for a bit to see if I can figure it out. I've noticed she has been biting/nibbling a lot of stuff today.

Reaction score
Just had another bite on the arm. Have to keep her out of the way of the kids for a bit to see if I can figure it out. I've noticed she has been biting/nibbling a lot of stuff today.

Are her teeth OK? Maybe they are causing her to nibble if they're not right?

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some of my piggies never bite at all. But my Enrico is a very high-strung little guy! When something startles him, he takes it out on my arm too, ouch:o! I still have a mark from a few weeks ago! It seems to depend on the piggy. :)

Reaction score
Not sure about the teeth, ill try to have a look tomorrow.
As for being startled it wasn't that as she was just on the sofa and I was watching tv when I felt her bite, given me quite a lump on my arm :(

Status
Not open for further replies.