biting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dawn

hi do guinea pigs bite ? as i must confess to being a little worried of my piggies incase they bite me are they very likely to ? ?

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
they do bite, but only rarely..

The may be scared, frightened, smell food on your hands and mistake it, or even bite if you ever stoke them in a way they don't like or hurt them..

Mine have never bitten me, well nipped, but not so it really hurt

michellemuffin

Reaction score
as Kelly says they dont bite unintentionally I have had guinea pigs for over 25 years and only have i ever been bitten bad once and that was my fault for putting my hand between a naughty boy after a female still got the scar ( my guinea pig trophy scar lol) but if they bite its more of a nibble its quite sweet they are not vicious animals by nature and would rather run, so relaly you have nothing to be worried about they are sweeties, my one golden rule with my kids has always been never ever put your hand between 2 pigs especailly if they are arguing and none of my kids have ever been bitten, try not to worry about them biting you as your nervousness could affect the way they bond with you, alwasy talk to them so they know your voice, as i open my 2 sheds every morning no matter how I am feeling i greet them all hello my beautiful little girls/boys and the greeting I get back makes my day, I'm sure the other girls know what I mean, ;D

bevs

Reaction score
Oh yeah ;D definately! Standing up at the edge of the cage with those droopy lips saying "hi mum" :D And if they want food anyone else can walk into the room and not a sound, I walk in and there's running and wheeking and popcorning ;D They know their mummy ;D

I talk to them like babies, and if they are misbehaving they get the stern voice, seems to work!

L

lukey

I have always been amazed at how calm and tame guinea pigs are... I had a rabbit when I was little that was very vicious... which put me off smaller animals for a while but once I found out about guinea pigs it changed everything... the only times I have ever been bitten is if I had been feeding them by hand and my hands still smelt of the food, they dont mean it you can see it in their little faces that they didnt mean it... the more they are handled the less likely they will be to bite you

SweetEdge

Reaction score
I've had a few piggies over the years and they tend to be really chilled and dont bite... I had one that bit me once... but I had been handling food and I think she thought my finger was a carrot! hehe She never bit again though, always made sure I washed my hands just incase!

G

gothchick1515

Harry did and it hurt but its because he was new and scared but thats the first time any have bit me one bit my dad once because Rudi was eating carrot and he wanting to have a peice but rudi wasnt having any of that so he nipped him, if they nip honest it doesnt hurt just pressure nad its really quick sometimes you dont realise hehe they sound lovely and if they nip then i bet its purely unitentionally hehe x

Status
Not open for further replies.