• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday, my Willow had soft poo with blood in it. She didn't seem to be in any pain though. It stopped at the end of the day yesterday. She's had it before too, and behaved the same way. A person at the rescue I adopted her from said she always had a bit of a strange digestive system.

I just kept away the vegi's, gave her lots of hay, and made sure she was hydrated, yesterday. Since she wasn't behaving strangely (other than blood in the poo) and this had happened before, I didn't take her to the vet. I was on the lookout though, and ready to take her. But, today, she's completely back to normal. Does anyone know why this is happening? I'll appreciate any advice.

I'm sorry I can't help, just wanted to bump this up for you. Hopefully someone will come along soon x

i think i would need to get advice about that from a vet hon, just to be on the safe side, but, someone will maybe come along and give you an explanation, hope shes ok x

Thank you. She's always had kind of a weird digestive system, but she's acting normally. I'll talk to the vet.

Other than just two days ago, the last time she had bloody poo was back in October. Maybe the bacteria in her digestive system became unbalanced?

i wonder if a pro biotic would help, maybe you could google that and see if it says anything?

I could be way off base here but is there any chance she might be pregnant?

Thank you doglovinpiggylover and Saysie.
I Googled probiotics. I think they might help because she did have some very soft poo. It seems though, most probiotics for guinea pigs can only be found in England, and I'm in the United States. However, I did read on Guinea Lynx, that poo from a healthy guinea pig can be a probiotic. I'm going to try it, although it's really gross :{ As long as it helps Willow though...

I don't think she's pregnant. I keep all male guinea pigs in one room, and females in another. I call them the men's room and the ladies room :)) She also hasn't gained weight at all. But, I will defiantly keep it in mind.

Just did more research and found a pro biotic for Willow. :) I'm going out to get some tomorrow, the road conditions are terrible today. It just snowed 5 inches and still snowing.

i used it for a piggy i lost (Pepper) last summer, he had the dreaded bladder stone problem......giving him Avipro Plus was the easiest thing ever, i couldnt get enough down him he loved it :)

Her pro biotic worked! Her poos are all back to normal! Thank you so much for the advice. I'm just so happy Willow is all better again! :):)):):)):)

Alrighty! :))

I just took this one, after cleaning her cage today. She's sitting in a fresh bed of hay :)) I know it says princess Nibbles over the window of her little house, Nibbles was a piggy I had before Willow, who died last year of old age.

IMG_8465.jpg

And here's my favorite pic of her! She just looks so cute in the picture! x) She's next my sister's pig, Woog :))
IMG_8418.jpg

Here's a pic of Nibbles too. She really lived up to her name! :))
IMG_3554.jpg

Thanks again for all your help doglovinpiggylover!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back