• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

blood in urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LennyPig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just rushed on of my piggies into the vets out of hours as she has a considerable amount of blood in her urine.

the young vet we saw admitted to not being experienced with pigs so I am after thoughts on what people think could be the cause (and solution).

I agree that it is most probably blood in the urine (as opposed to bleeding directly from somewhere) as the blood on her bedding is dilute and mixed with wee patches.

She is not particularly off her food (luckily) but has otherwise looked a bit hunched up and feeling sorry for herself.

She is not making any noises when toileting.

Vet gave her a shot of anti-inflamatories to ease any discomfort and gave me some baytril to give her for any possible infection. (and I shall give her some probiotics too obviously).

I am booked to go back in 2 days time.

Thoughts please guys :( I'm quite worried. :(

one of shell193s pigs had this, think it was a kidney issue - cant remember if it was stones or infection -but advise was given to give cranberry juice

sorry not great help but hpefully someone else can help more

Could be a kidney stone - obviously with the blood in the urine or UTI

Poor little dear, hopefully she'll be okay - I would suggest giving her some cranberry juice as well with some water to dilute.

I would recommend that you additionally put her on unsweetened cranberry juice (the easiest available is Ocean Wave light from any bigger supermarket), as much as you can get into her, either pure or mixed with water. The more you can flush out any bacteria from the bladder, the better.

Some UTIs can start with quite a bit of blood in the urine without other signs like pain or a wet bum. This is how the strain of UTI used to start that has made the rounds earlier in the Tribe earlier in the year. Your symptoms do not indicate a kidney infection (which would be lots of watery pee).

How old is your girl and how much septrin is she on? UTI is usually treated with a quite high dose of antibiotics; 0.4 ml of baytril twice daily for an adult guinea pig. If symptoms persist, you would do well to try septrin and have an x-ray done for stones or bladder sludge.

Here is more about UTI:
http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Thanks guys.

Weibke, thanks for that link x

Are UTIs contagious to my other pigs? Do I need to do anything to help prevent the other two getting it?

My vet has given me Baytril (no septrin) and the guinea lynx article recommends a 2 or 3 week course but my vet has only given enough for 1 week?

Oh and she is 2 years old x

-------------------

I shall pick up some cranberry juice (unsweetened) tomorrow! x

Just another question too... can you mix the baytril and avipro-plus?

Just an idea, they can't stand the taste of Baytril but love the taste of Avipro-plus and it all goes "down the same hole" .... ?

Just another question too... can you mix the baytril and avipro-plus?

Just an idea, they can't stand the taste of Baytril but love the taste of Avipro-plus and it all goes "down the same hole" .... ?

Hi,

One of my boars had the same thing, my vet diagnosed uti and perscribed baytil. Seems to have done the trick no blood now:))

I tried him with the cranberry juice ut he turned his nose up at it so will try and get him some fresh cranberries to give occasionally

well she's not looking a happy piggy but she is eating at least.

awww hope your piggy ok, you will get loads of advice on here.

I had a pig on Baytril and Avipro but i didnt mix them, only because i wanted to make sure the Baytril defo went in, but luckily my pig Pepper couldnt get enough of the Avipro he loved it lol

keep us updated x and good luck x

Sorry to hear your girl has blood in her urine.

You may find these threads helpful with regards to treatment of cystitis and what to do if it doesn't clear up with the advised treatment:

UTi symptoms: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=866167&postcount=7

Individual case with treatment suggestions - http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51719

Basically the ideal treatment for cystitis is:

- An antibiotic - Septrin;
- An anti-inflammatory - Rimadyl or Metacam;
- Plenty of fluids (mainly water, but may include cranberry juice although it should be noted that the juice (as with any naturally sugary foods) may aggravate the condition of some pigs).

It is worth giving a probiotic especially as your sow is on Baytril. It's not advised to give them at the same time, given one is an antibiotic and one is a probiotic. Advice on this tends to be to give the probiotic 1-2 hours after the Baytril.

Laura has given you all the technical bits. You may need to go back to the vets and ask for more or have a keen eye out if it comes back; in my personal experience, one week of antibiotics doesn't clear up cystitis.

how do I know its cystitis? I thought we were thinking it was a UTI? or is that the same thing?

Thanks for the advice guys

Cystitis is a general term used in many situations to describe the discomfort associated with conditions like a UTI. UTI is of course the most specific term you want in cases like your girls, but generally speaking, when someone on the forum says cystitis it almost always means UTI. :)

My boy S h a g g y had blood in his pee last year. He stopped drinking and eating, and became very thin. I took him to a vet, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. I had to force feed him for a week or two.

Then out of nowhere he started eating and drinking again, and made a full recovery, and gained back all his weight. As if it never happened. It was so strange.

It's been almost a year and he's perfectly fine.

You're piggy will probably be okay, just try to keep her happy and do whatever the vet recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back