blood test!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
scared! I am getting a blood test next week and i have never had one or remember haveing one, i am aslo not very good with needles or blood:)>>> How badly do they hurt?:0

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Explain to to person taking it before hand your situation, I am not going to say they are painfree but though uncomfy the pain is over quickly it is usually just a sharp scratch and uncomfortable for a few seconds while they collect the blood once the needle is out the pain quickly ends.

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yep, just a scratch and then they take the blood. Look the other way and perhaps focus on something on the wall to take your mind off it. Doesn't take long. :)

Reaction score
This will make you laugh :)) I hated needles for years think due to a bad experience or me just being feart anyhoo I used to get Emla cream to put on back of my hand for an hour before they took the blood and it numbed the area and I never felt a thing - thing is when you get older even though I tried my hardest they wouldn't give me it now (I am 27 so is fairly understandable lol) my fear of needles is now cured even without Emla cream there is a wee scratch then an uncomfy feeling feeling while blood taken but not sore - good luck x

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Zoe i am still scared of needles and i'm nearly 55 !
I have learnt tho.......to breathe thru it and think of something else, just like others have said :)
I too would explain it's your first time i'm sure they'll be understanding and talk you thru it all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It is honestly a scratch on the skin HONEST !!! and some nurses can be so good that you only feel like it's a bit of pressure and before you know it they say, OK you're done :)) that's what happened to me the last time!

Reaction score
I'm used to them now as i have them every 14 days, as everyone said you just feel a small scratch, it will be over before you know it, find a picture on the wall to focus on or talk about your piggies, try not to worry about it to much, their really not that bad. Good luck x

Hoggle*&*Ludo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am not keen on them either, it is the thought of it that is worse than the actual procedure. It is slightly uncomfortable, but not even half as bad as a vaccination. It also depends on what nurse you have.

If you worry you may faint, you could always ask to lay down, the nurse who last did mine said she has to lay down to have one! :{

You will be fine anyway, I used to have to have them every month and it is over before you know it. :)

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My wife and I give blood all the time so we're kind of used to it. The test isn't pleasant, that's true, but it's over so quickly and the pain (it's more uncomfortable than painful to be honest) goes away pretty quickly.

My wife hates needles so she just doesn't look anymore. I think it's more psychological than physical.

Definitely tell the nurse that you're not a fan of needles and he/she will go slowly and talk you through everything :)

Good luck - you'll be fine :)

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had loads of blood tests, I just look away and all you feel is a slight sting nothing to worry about!:))

Becky92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
TOP TIP - MAKE SURE THE STRAP THEY PUT ON IS TIGHT !

Before i got pregnant i never had my blood took & now its like being a pin cushion. i also hate needles :(

The first time they took my blood the women made right a right mess of my arm, then went on to do the same to the other. Qualified midwife PFFTT! I could feel the needle going right into my arm. I went away in absolute agony and had to book an appointment with a nurse to get it taken.

The nurse was lovely & did things completely different. The strap she put round my arm was tight (uncomfortably tight) and she took the blood no worries! Sharp scratch & abit of an ache, no pain.

I told the nurse about what had happened with that midwife and explained that it was like she was trying to measure my arm with her strap, really loose and comfortable.

The nurse then told me that some people who take blood try to be gentle with the strap but then hurt you more because it can take several attempts to get blood from a vein thats not being 'pressurised' by a tight strap.

If done properly its really not painful, just uncomfortable.

Best of luck + take someone with you if possible, holding someones hand is a great comfort

Reaction score
I have just come home from the blood test and it wasnt as bad as i thought, luckly i didnt have to go into hospital i got to go at my doctors, the nurse put this freezing spray on which hurt but it was funny because the hairs on my arm went white:)).The worst bit was when she pulled the needle out. But it looked like she took loads of blood:)>>>

Reaction score
oh dear i have a problem, i want to take the cotten thing off put she has out tape on it so now if i pull it pulls my hairs out:(. Oh no i guess i will have to keep in on:))

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
well done :)

if you have a bath or shower I'm sure the tape will come off on its own, or make it easier to unstick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.