• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bloods tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have had my fair share of them but I am still so scared. I was supposed to have one this morning but they couldn't get blood from either arm so now I have to get it done at the hospital. I am so upset, it was such an ordeal this morning and they didn't even get the blood so it's not like I can say it's over. :0

I feel sick just thinking about it, I had to work myself up to going in this morning but I really don't want to have it done again.

How do you get through blood tests, any tips? :...

Ive never had a blood test as I'm sooo scared! I hate blood! Just thinking about it making me weak

Can they not numb your arm with some cream so you dont feel it?

Ive never had a blood test as I'm sooo scared! I hate blood! Just thinking about it making me weak

Can they not numb your arm with some cream so you dont feel it?

They used to do that when I was younger but I don't think you can have it if you're an adult. :(

I have never had a blood test before hun so not quite sure what to suggest. Hope everything will be okay x

My daughter hates needles and blod tests too:(

The hospital are really good, and gentle. All I do is think of something nice like christmas and just look away while the nurse takes your blood. It's over in a few seconds anyway:))

Have something to look forward to afterwards like a coffee/tea and a treat in a nice coffee shop:))

You will be fine!

I'm sure if you request the cream they will give you it. A lot of people hate needles. I never liked them but I wasn't scared untill I let a student nurse practice on me *shudders* Never again and now I am scared of them rolleyes

Our surgery always have a problem getting blood from me so now I ask them for a form to take to the hospital and I go there in the first place, so I dont have to go through with it twice. Also unless you have been told to fast, make sure you have something to eat a good hour before you go and preferably something sweet, this makes the veins plumper and more accessible nearer the surface (stops them having to dig to find them or them collapsing).
You can also buy the Emla cream over the counter too so you can apply it yourself before you go ;)

You poor thing!

A bit of exercise usually helps (walk fast, run up stairs etc).

My Dad and I both have 'dodgy' veins so I'm used to it!

I'd say promise yourself a treat afterwards (big cake?) and focus on that. Remember to tell the nurse you are nervous as they'll be able to take this into account when taking the blood.

Make sure you look away too!

You'll be fine!

Sending hugs....

x)x)

Hi sorry to hear you're scared of needles I was exactly the same until a few months ago - I used to get the Emla cream to numb the back of ma hand and I requested this a few years ago and then forgot to take it with me so I had to grin and bear it (granted hubby was holding my wrist so I didn't jump shame he held it so tight the blood wouldn't come mallethead

I have just have blood taken on Friday and the nurse was excellent the only thing that makes me scared now is will they get blood ok? And not the needle anymore

Hope you get on okay xx

I actually donate blood and have really thin veins so sometimes it's not easy.

I've found they find it easier if I've drank lots of fluids (water/fruit juice or squash) and my arms are warm as this stops the veins sinking.

If it's not a fasting blood test make sure you've eaten pretty well first. x

The last couple of times Steven's had to give blood samples they've had trouble and have tried both arms and in the end resorted to drawing the blood with a syringe. No idea why they struggled so much, it's normally fine! Though I'm wondering whether its something to do with the 4 hour drive beforehand and being tired/hungry hmm....

I never have blood taken from the "normal" place due to bad experiences years ago so i used to have it taken from my wrist but now they're not allowed to take it from the wrist so now i have it taken with a butterfly from the back of my hand which doesn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back