• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boar pigs

i love boars !i find boars more personable!ive 5 herds with one neutered boar and upto 3 sows,one pair of bonded boars.one dysfuctional pair of boars that are in a 6x2 c andc cage,with a grid divider so both cannot arrange furball fights.both will be neutered soon,to be able to place them with any herd that loses there husboar.ive boar pairs near females,but they have grown up with this so are not concerned !

I love boars. I have 5 - a pair and a trio. Bobby and Bailey, the pair, are quiet old gentlemen (I think, no idea of their age). Bobby loves a chin rub, but will drop kick you if you touch his rear end.. Bailey is more interest in exploring or escaping than even food.
Groucho, Chicco and Little Dude are the nearly 2yr old trio. They run around in a train a lot, squabble a lot and seem to love and hate each other in equal doses. They're really entertaining to watch, but none of them is over fond of being petted although they will let you touch them while they're being hand fed (they do make annoyed little noises just to let you know that they're only tolerating it).

Oh this gives me a lot of reassurance! Going to see them tonight and decide for sure. Pn the topicof hideys...ive got a teeny "dog pillow" the type that would go in a hard bed..and was thinking of putting one of those bendy bridges over it...is thata good enough bed? And do i need to get the same for the other boar? I also have a small plastic tray (with one side lower than the others sp they can get in) was thinking of filling that with hay/straw for another bed?

Oh this gives me a lot of reassurance! Going to see them tonight and decide for sure. Pn the topicof hideys...ive got a teeny "dog pillow" the type that would go in a hard bed..and was thinking of putting one of those bendy bridges over it...is thata good enough bed? And do i need to get the same for the other boar? I also have a small plastic tray (with one side lower than the others sp they can get in) was thinking of filling that with hay/straw for another bed?

A log arch over a soft bed is perfect as it’s comfy and has 2 exits so no one can get trapped.
A small plastic litter tray or seed tray is great stuffed with hay. Please don’t use straw as it has sharp edges and increases the risk of a hay poke or other injury. Straw also has no nutritional value for piggies.
A cardboard box house with 2 doors cut out makes a perfect extra house. Carrot cottages are also great (but with a pair you’ve just brought home it’s best to cut an extra door.
I am also a huge fan of small plastic footstools. You can put a soft cushion/pad underneath but no one can ever get trapped. I use them a lot in bondings.

Here’s a couple of photos of one of my old pairs shortly after bonding - plastic stool, hay tray, log arch and a soft tunnel all in the photos. 1D19C293-A97C-4953-B576-DE9EB43150B6.jpeg9158C6E7-5BFF-4633-B65A-927063B124DB.jpeg

A log arch over a soft bed is perfect as it’s comfy and has 2 exits so no one can get trapped.
A small plastic litter tray or seed tray is great stuffed with hay. Please don’t use straw as it has sharp edges and increases the risk of a hay poke or other injury. Straw also has no nutritional value for piggies.
A cardboard box house with 2 doors cut out makes a perfect extra house. Carrot cottages are also great (but with a pair you’ve just brought home it’s best to cut an extra door.
I am also a huge fan of small plastic footstools. You can put a soft cushion/pad underneath but no one can ever get trapped. I use them a lot in bondings.

Here’s a couple of photos of one of my old pairs shortly after bonding - plastic stool, hay tray, log arch and a soft tunnel all in the photos. View attachment 106221View attachment 106222
A footstool is a genius idea! Ok, so I'll use the tray with hay, dog bed with arch over, they have another smaller arch, that should be enough for now? X

That’s amazing. I can second footstools. One of my piggies likes to jump on top of his :)) I’d be tempted to buy another little pillow for under the smaller arch just cuz I’d feel bad if one was lying on something comfy and the other wasn’t lol but honestly you have loads of lovely things ready for them, you just need the piggies now! I can see the popcorning already!

I have no idea why that is but I love my two boars to the moon and back, they just wonderful little munchkins and sometimes, they seem friendlier then female guinea pigs I've met! I do think it's because (as other forum members said) you can't really have three in a cage...it's extremely rare. So when uneducated guinea pig owners decide to have guinea pigs, and they have 3 or more and they don't get along...they have to find new homes and it's rare to have a large group of females that don't get along so yeah.

Ooh exciting times. Let us know how it goes, if you decide to get them.

Back