• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boar trio no longer working

LCT83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 3 boar guinea pigs who, until a few days ago had been happy as can be living together for nearly a year (they are just over 1 year old). Sadly, a few days ago when I went to feed them I noticed one had what looked like a nasty bite under his eye, and scratches on his back. Interestingly, it was the one who had always seemed the dominant guinea pig, but now the other two seem to have turned on him. I have separated him, and the other 2 seem very happy living together without him. I did try to reintroduce him by putting them all out into the grass run, as I thought this might feel neutral. However, the boar who is being picked on seemed very frightened and the other 2 were kind of chasing him so I removed him. As soon as I did so, the other 2 went back to grazing happily. I'm going to have to separate them aren't it? It's such a shame because after 1 year together I thought it was safe to assume they'd be alright!

I have 3 boar guinea pigs who, until a few days ago had been happy as can be living together for nearly a year (they are just over 1 year old). Sadly, a few days ago when I went to feed them I noticed one had what looked like a nasty bite under his eye, and scratches on his back. Interestingly, it was the one who had always seemed the dominant guinea pig, but now the other two seem to have turned on him. I have separated him, and the other 2 seem very happy living together without him. I did try to reintroduce him by putting them all out into the grass run, as I thought this might feel neutral. However, the boar who is being picked on seemed very frightened and the other 2 were kind of chasing him so I removed him. As soon as I did so, the other 2 went back to grazing happily. I'm going to have to separate them aren't it? It's such a shame because after 1 year together I thought it was safe to assume they'd be alright!

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry that you are yet another of the 90% of shop boar or breeder boar trio owners whose boys do not make it to adulthood together. Fall-outs, whether that is boys or girls, are always a gutting experience. :(

The teenage months last from around 4-14 months. It is not quite uncommon that nearly matched pairs or trios then clash rather late in the process when there can be the odd hormone spike (which can continue into adult life). Most badly matched boars tend to fall out long before, so be proud that yours have actually had a very good innings!
Please take the time to carefully read our very detailed guide; you should find it interesting and helpful: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Unfortunately your boys won't go back together again; the behaviour shows clearly that the strain on their bond has been too great even before it erupted. At least you have a happy pair left; that is something!

Since your options depend very much on whether you have got access to a good standard rescue or vet or not, it would be most helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can give you recommendations as to which avenues are best for you in order to help you work out the solution that is best for your individual situation.
Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and allows us to always tailor any advice to what is relevant for you straight away. We have members and enquiries from all the world. Thank you!

Back