Bobbin is ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

Bobbin has diorreaha we havent fed her just hay but its not gettin any better they vet just said to feed her hay! anyone no of anything we can give her to make it better? x

Reaction score
Can a Mod push this into the health forum, please?

@verity:

Hay and water diet is the sensible thing to do. Lots of fresh fruit gives diarrhoea, as you might know from yourself.

Is there a specific reason for the diarrhoea? As in, did she get new food that she didnt know, or ALOT of fresh fruit in one go?
Or is it something more serious, as in, she isnt eating hay (so she hasnt enough fibre and therefore gets diarrhoea)? That might indicate a tooth problem, which the vet should have picked up.
Is it possible for the vet to take a poo sample to find out if she has any parasites?

Also, the most important thing during diarrhoea is that your piggie is still drinking enough. They can get dehydrated during diarrhoea very easily.

Good luck!

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bobbin is a rabbit I think? If you can clarify this Verity I will edit subject title and move it to the most appropriate section.

Reaction score
Yes Bobbin is definately Verity's bunny :)

C

cavykind

You really do need to see a vet, preferably today, bunnies, like our guineas can go down hill incredibly quickly. You definitely need to see a vet this afternoon if bun is quiet, not eating, lethargic,not drinking and diarrhoes is severe. Changes in diet, stress and bacterial/viral infection can all cause (to my knowledge) diarrhoea.

Hope all goes well, until you see the vet keep her warm, quiet and as said offer hay, make sure she is drinking.

Barbara

G

gothchick1515

The vet said shes doing it because she stressed cos she has no company but its far to dangerous for her to have contact with the other bunnies after the injurys they caused, shes had every test goin but it keeps comin back! i give her dirolyte in her water and they all have fresh water every day they vet cant find a reason, she does have spores on her teeth but at the moment they are ok! this is like the 7th time this has happend and each time the vet cant find anything! and shes been double checked by 3 vets its so weird! we gave her toys to play with but she just pines for her girls all the time she will sit by their hutch and its agony for us because theres nothing we can do they would literally KILL her if they mixed again! its all very distressing. yes bobbin is a bunny x

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think if they are fighting it might be the stress due to that! Try keeping her away from the others and make sure she can't even smell them. give her some blackberry leaves as they are a homeopathic remedy for the runs. try for a couple of days and then i think you need to get her back to the vet if it has not improved.

G

gothchick1515

Bobbin was seperated when they first went for her around 18months ago, she has NO contact with them at all thats what the vet reckoned was stressing her! its all so confusing!

C

cavykind

Verity said:
Bobbin was seperated when they first went for her around 18months ago, she has NO contact with them at all thats what the vet reckoned was stressing her! its all so confusing!

Is she spayed?

Barbara

Reaction score
Try putting a proper probiotic in her water that is designed for small herbivores. Avipro plus is great, bio lapis is another. Bramble leaves are a good thing to feed for the runs too, and plantain.

Does she have proper liquid diarrhea? Or is she just not eating her caecotrophs?(The soft poo they make at night usually?)

If it is liquid that is very serious and she needs to see a vet. If the later she needs a change of diet. Did you say she is only eating hay? For the whole time? That would be odd on just hay. Or is she getting veg too? Some rabbits don't tolerate veg well at all, particularly if they didn't have it when they were little. Have you tried a good quality rabbit pellet? Such as Science Selective or A&P?

If If the vet thinks she is lonely why don't you get her a friend? Rabbits are very social animals and should never be kept on their own.

G

gothchick1515

Just gooey but she dnt eat them! we have seen the vet and he just keeps saying to give her hay.

M

maxthepig

How many other rabbits do you have Verity? And what sexes are they?

As hopperhaven has said, it's worth considering getting her a new friend. A neutered male would be the best match- if you're worried about them fighting ask the rescue to bond them for you.

In terms of her illness, i think it might be time for you to swap vets.
There are several causes for dodgy poops, but when my old rabbit had this the vet insisted it was a stomach problem so i got a second opnion at another vet and it turned out spurs had developed on her back teeth causing pain and discomfort.- Also it is very difficult to see the back teeth properly unless the rabbit has a GA for proper exploration, so as much as they insist this isnt the problem, they wont know for a fact until they do this.

What area do you live in? Perhaps someone could reccomend a good rabbit vet. I can if you are anywhere near nottingham.

G

gothchick1515

Bobbin is a 2 year old female and we have her 2 nearly 2 year old daugthers, they got on GREAT! the first 10 months but bobbin ran away and by the time she got back the girls wouldnt except her again punkin has taken her place as top bunny and for bobbins and flics safety the two stay away from their mum. we want to get a neutered male but we dont have the money, i have the pigs and i pay punkins vets as well but my sister is only 15 she cant afford the vets so my mum does it all, and plus our garden must stink of bunny so if a male go on wiv bob in the rescue centre they would come home and probably go MAD! she craves attention though so it is a great idea, when my mums hope she follows her everywhere but we cant be here all the time. she has got better in the last few days because we put hte pigs in their runs and bobbin has the garden so shes not on her own, she sits by the runs and is fine abby turns 16 soon so when she has a job she will get her a friend but atm the finance isnt there x

And yes Bobbin was spayed and the fighting began after the op, Flica is also Spayed and they had yet another fight so we opted out of having Punk spayed as her and flica are fine together we dont want to end up with 3 rabbits seperated

Reaction score
do rabbits not get scours which is another name for diareah can never spell that,and yes Avipro plus is a great probiotic I use it all the time for my pigs, if one get runny poops a few days on avipro works wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.