Bobby Roberts cruel circus

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just seen a poster outside my local newsagents to say Bobby Roberts circus is coming to Hurrans garden centre, Hagley (worcestershire/midlands borders) 9th to 14th October >:(

This is almost within sight of my house a 5 min walk away. So Anne the elephant and others will be chained up in her tent/cage that close to me >:(

I am livid, I will contact Animal aid tomorrow and try to get leaflets for a leaflet drop locally. Have never done a demo before but cant ignore this on my doorstep >:( so if anyones free any eves/days for a demo?

Very annoyed about this, will contact shops/garden centre to this effect tomorrow too.

Alison

J

Jillybean

Have never heard of this circus, didn't realise they still used animals like elephants still at circuses. I sympathise with you, is so cruel. Would offer to help but I'm down south. It might be an idea to contact your local newspaper - have you any contacts there? They may do a spread advertising/featuring it so they should be aware of the unpopular side of it. If people aren't willing to demo, maybe you could ask people to phone the circus (if there's a number) to ask if animals are used, and if they are, for them to say that they won't be coming then.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
cashmincal said:
I thought it was ILLEGAL to have animals in circuces now?
I thought I'd read this too

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All good ideas thanks :) will contact local news paper and am trying to find out if animal aid have any leaflets - I'm planning a big leaflet drop locally, try to show people what goes on at this circus, then they can decide if to go or not.

No they can still use animals in circus trades >:(

Planning to demo with a friend, never done a demo but friend has so will know what to do.

This circus is one of the longest runnig ones and one of the few still using animals, including Anne the elephant who is 52, still being transported up the country despite ill health/old age :( Born Free are campaigning for her release, and GMTV and the Mirror have run campaigns.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/circus/anne1.shtml

http://www.captiveanimals.org/elephants/anne.htm

Alison :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I do not go to circuses and zoos because i prefer to see animals in their true surroundings, wildlife parks are not too bad and our local zoo has a tiger breeding programme (actually thats what the zoo is all about) I thought circuses could only use animlas like horses, but i dont like to see any animal perform, that includes horse racing and dog racing,

C

cavykind

Good luck, if I were nearer I'd come along. it's disgusting, no other words for it. Too many people see animals as a source of amusement and have no respect for them.

Barbara

lolseh

Reaction score
When I was on holiday a few years ago one of the familys from a circus was there and their son who was about 5 had a fox as a pet and was walking around with it. They ended up being told to leave because everyone was complaining

J

Jenni75

If I was closer (in the South East) I'd definitely help out. Wild animals are called wild animals for a reason - because they should BE in the wild. Poor Anne, I would say somebody should go and take the chains off her and let her run riot but she'd be the one that ended up getting shot or injured..... :(

On the fox front, I had a school friend when I was 15 (so long ago!) in Cyprus that had a pet fox, but he'd actually rescued his because his dad accidentally ran over the mum and the cub was following her. So if he hadn't taken her home he would have been killed anyway....

michellemuffin

Reaction score
one of our vets Sarah had a pet fox once because it had been abandoned he was so sweet and liked snuggling into Sarahs arms he was quite shy,

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
michellemuffin said:
I do not go to circuses and zoos because i prefer to see animals in their true surroundings, wildlife parks are not too bad and our local zoo has a tiger breeding programme (actually thats what the zoo is all about) I thought circuses could only use animlas like horses, but i dont like to see any animal perform, that includes horse racing and dog racing,
I have never been to a circus that has animals and I don't particularly like going to zoos. Those I have been to are with me under protest (forced).
I like going to working farms, and have yet to go to a wildlife park.

C

carrot_tit

I like going to zoo's that participate in endangered speices breeding programmes and to be honest if i'd never been to a zoo i'd never have seen some of the fantastic animals that i have seen. Most zoo's however just do not have enough space in their enclosures for my liking :(

Status
Not open for further replies.