• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding did not go well. Advice?

lilyandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got Penelope three days ago and let her settle in. Today I brought them to the same bathroom to bond. I set out food and let them go on opposite sides of the bathroom. It did not go well. At first I thought they were just doing normal dominant things, chattering, etc. Then they fought. I was really scared for a minute. I was filming and got a few pictures. They seem okay for now but I broke it up. I was worried that Penelope could have been very hurt.
I don’t know what to do. I’m heartbroken. I thought that two girls would get along fine. They seemed fine interacting through the cage. They could have been seriously hurt or injured. I drove four hours to get her and I can’t give her back.
Do I try again? I don’t know what to do.

I don’t know that it would be advisable to try again if they’ve fought like that. How they behave either side of the divider is no indication of how they will get on once bonded. And it’s down to character match - if they don’t get on I’m afraid there’s nothing you can do to correct it. Have them living side by side for now so they can still interact through the bars.

Did you put anything in the bathroom that was from either of their cages? Seeing those photos I don’t know that I would advise trying again. But wait for others more experienced with bonding to answer and see what they think.

I’m afraid I agree with @Siikibam. It looks like a full on fight from the picture so it doesn’t look as if they are compatible and therefore trying again would not be advisable.

Did you put anything in the bathroom that was from either of their cages? Seeing those photos I don’t know that I would advise trying again. But wait for others more experienced with bonding to answer and see what they think.
No I didn’t the tunnel is reserved for floor time only. It was neutral ground.
What are your thoughts on keeping them side by side?

No I didn’t the tunnel is reserved for floor time only. It was neutral ground.
What are your thoughts on keeping them side by side?

Side by side is the viable alternative to ensure they have interaction to prevent loneliness

I just feel so horrible. I was silly to think it would work perfectly.
I automatically assumed she would be like Luna and they would get along great. :(

It’s hard to tell whether piggies will get on unless you try. It can happen so don’t beat yourself up. Just have them side by side to satisfy their need for constant companionship.

Once you see what I call the rolling furball then the bonding has failed. Sadly piggies are such foolish creatures at times, not accepting each other when that would be the best for everyone. Please don’t blame yourself, you couldn’t have known, without trying. If you can have them living alongside each other as neighbours that would be a good solution for both of them.

I contacted the rescue and they sent me a contact of a bonding expert. She’s going to video chat me and says it’s worth another shot before calling it completely quits. She’s going to be video chatting me during the process.

That is your choice but that kind of ball of fluff is not a good sign of a good bond. I would not advise trying to bond them again. If their personalities don’t match then there is no expert in the world who can change that.

So long as you’re aware that a fight can get pretty bad. You have to be ready to intervene at the drop of a hat. Also be aware that if they do bond on second try that this...disagreement could rear its head in future.

Back