• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding piggies- Help!

Pigmom95

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My beloved guinea pig Scruff passed away and left behind her sister Ginger who is roughly 4 years old.
We have recently got a newly neutered male, about 3 years 2 months from the Blue Cross charity so they are very similar in age.

They were side by side in separate cages getting used to each other, sniffing between the bars/scent swapping until his 6 week post neuter was up. Since then, the have had indoor and outdoor pen time which has gone well, minus a little humping from the boar and a little teeth chattering.

We put them in their 'proper' cage together today. When they were sleeping or eating it went very well (happily sleeping next to each other and eating together), but when they aren't doing either of these 2 things the boar is humping Ginger relentlessly. She's holding her own and telling him off, chattering teeth, head buts etc. There has been NO biting, but I am concerned he may be really irritating Ginger and stressing her out. Every time she tries to have a nap or wander about, he's straight on her back (or head) humping her. This was happening every 5/10 minutes or so (other than when sleeping or eating when they're fine). They've spent maybe 6 hours in the cage together today, I've been keeping a close eye and was hoping one would 'give in' and be the submissive pig- but he keeps humping and she keeps holding her ground. I've just separated them now as poor Ginger looked very fed up and exhausted.

Did I do the right thing?
As there was no violence ie biting should I have left him to relentlessly hump her all night?

Proposed plan- I am going to put them back in together first thing in the morning when I can monitor them all day. I just hated the thought of being in bed and not able to watch/keep an eye during the night.

P.s- I've read the very helpful bonding post :)

Many thanks,
Hannah

My beloved guinea pig Scruff passed away and left behind her sister Ginger who is roughly 4 years old.
We have recently got a newly neutered male, about 3 years 2 months from the Blue Cross charity so they are very similar in age.

They were side by side in separate cages getting used to each other, sniffing between the bars/scent swapping until his 6 week post neuter was up. Since then, the have had indoor and outdoor pen time which has gone well, minus a little humping from the boar and a little teeth chattering.

We put them in their 'proper' cage together today. When they were sleeping or eating it went very well (happily sleeping next to each other and eating together), but when they aren't doing either of these 2 things the boar is humping Ginger relentlessly. She's holding her own and telling him off, chattering teeth, head buts etc. There has been NO biting, but I am concerned he may be really irritating Ginger and stressing her out. Every time she tries to have a nap or wander about, he's straight on her back (or head) humping her. This was happening every 5/10 minutes or so (other than when sleeping or eating when they're fine). They've spent maybe 6 hours in the cage together today, I've been keeping a close eye and was hoping one would 'give in' and be the submissive pig- but he keeps humping and she keeps holding her ground. I've just separated them now as poor Ginger looked very fed up and exhausted.

Did I do the right thing?
As there was no violence ie biting should I have left him to relentlessly hump her all night?

Proposed plan- I am going to put them back in together first thing in the morning when I can monitor them all day. I just hated the thought of being in bed and not able to watch/keep an eye during the night.

P.s- I've read the very helpful bonding post :)

Many thanks,
Hannah

Hi!

You can separate overnight with a mixed gender bonding, as long as it has not been a fail and you have got a fair way into it. Some boars can unfortunately lose the 'on' switch for their brain when the gonads take over in the initial excitement of being with a sow.
Give it more time again tomorrow and see whether things are calming down over the coming days. Usually it does within a day or two.

Here is our illustrated step-by-step bonding guide. It also contains a chapter on mixed gender bondings: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back