Bonds between guinea pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

I know that rabbits form very close bonds...

Is this not the case with guinea pigs? I have recently heard a couple of people saying they swop their guinea pigs around...ie) breeders who are using neutered males for company for pregnant sows etc

Is this not upsetting and confusing for them to be split from their constant companions?

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I have 33 guinea pigs boys in one shed and girls in the other, all spoilt rotten, my girls all 16 of them live together in one hugh c c run in the shed, half the shed is their run, the boys have numerous runs made with c and c , I do occasionally change my boys around for instance a few weeks ago Alf died leaving dipstick and biscuit on their own , while there was the 3 of them they got along 100% perfectly, but Alfs death changed that and both decieded not to like each other so dippy as we call him is now in with scrappy and scooby2 and is fine biscuit is now with 4 others in a big run and has been accepted very well, the dynamics of the boys acceptance of each other changed, also if i know that they get along I would never change their set up I have had brothers adore each other, one in fact died a few days after his brother he could'nt live with out him, but there is often reasons for me to change them around, but as an experienced pig owner of many years i do know what to look out for and what signs to observe, its not just a matter of so and so will share so and sos run today I',m afraid they would never make life so easy for me lol, and yes they do form close bonds just as rabbits do, and it would be cruel to seperate them,

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Yes it is the case with piggies too. I am the same as Michelle and occassionally swap my 6 of my girls around as they are currently in two groups of three, until I can have my C & C cage in the shed. Then the six of them will be together, my other two girls, Icey and Tiny will always be together, and the boys in their pairs.

I think if you know what to look for and how to change them without making too much of a fuss or big change then it's fine. Also experience helps out a great deal :)

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
michelle, i am so jealous :D

if i had a proper garden i'd have a shed full of them. the girls must be so lovely to watch, all of them together.

but i could only afford a one bedroom flat so have to make do with my two boys. i do like having them in the living room though :D

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
I think they do form a close bond if they are the right pigs for each other. When you see a lonely piggy who has lived alone all his life paired up with another piggy there is nothing more heartwarming. Some pairs cuddle up and sleep together and play together, others tolerate each other. Its like people really- personalities are everything. Certainly all guinea pigs like company... even those who wont tolerate a friend in their cage like to be able to smell, see and hear other guineas in the room.

amillar

Reaction score
Hi i was intrested to read that Michellemuffin had three male pigs that lived together happily. I have three young male pigs. Two brothers of 3 months and a cousin 4 months. At the moment they get along fine but i have read that groups of more than 2 boys don't work so was expecting trouble as they got older. Nice to know they may have a chance of getting along

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
i have read that groups of more than 2 boys don't work so was expecting trouble as they got older. Nice to know they may have a chance of getting along
yeah there are always expeptions to the rule. I find keeping the peace with two boys can be difficult at times so can understand how 3 or more could be probelmatic. I know Michelles set up is articularly helpful to allow the boys the best chance of getting on- she has very very spacious pens :). My advice would be to give your boys as much room as you can that way the lower ranking ones can keep out of sight of the dominant pig when needed. I hope that they do get on... perhaps Michelle could tell you some of her other tips ;)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
hi Alex yes my shed is et up for the sole purpose of making sure the boys get along, I know some believe its a definate no that more then 3 boys get along and I must be lucky I guess, but then as said before i do have years of experience and what to look for at the moment I have 3 on their own 2 lots of 2 and a trio and 5 in another, the trio get along brillaintly they are my pride and joy because at one time all 3 would not pair up now with 3 they cuddle up togther will try to get piccy, and absolutly adore each other, they wait round the food bowl for me to fill it up and do not argue or bicker, its a joy to see,
the only problem I'm having at the moment is dippy he was just mopey inw ith scrappy and scooby so is now on his own, biscuit on the othyer hand went in with 4 others and alls well and everyone s happy with 5 of them they do have a big run and plenty of food bowls and water bottles plenty of hidey holes and loads of space, I am hoping to let dippy mix again its just watching waiting and decieding which run to see if he can interact with them fine,
I must add they need not to have any excuse to argue over anything so plenty of room playthings food etc and you must know the characters of the pigs inside out,
I knew as soon as Alf died Biccy wanted to be boss where as before they accepted no one was boss, yet with 4 others biccys not even rumbling he has accepted his place in the run, good luck in what you do but please be ever watchful, I have been doing it for years so know my pigs very well, :D

amillar

Reaction score
Hi Michelle thanks for the advice :) Yes i am keeping a careful watch for any signs of trouble. They are still young and so their characters are still developing although they are already different. Brutus is always first out for food and very talkative, Caesar is very chilled but quite bossy and Tibus although older is more nervous. At the moment they had being apart from each other. I have seen them scrap over food so make sure there is always plenty and will make sure they have lots of room and veriity to keep them busy so they don't fight. I will remember all the tips thanks, be watchful and keep fingers crossed for the future :)

S

snugglypig

I have 2 boys that are brothers (now 6) and won't be seperated had to keep together even when one sick else they pine and don't eat and wheek all the time.

have 9 sows all really happy together but they seem to split into small groups with in the big group and sleep in their little groups which is really sweet

others boys won't be with any other and even fight through the bars little devils

karen

P

pipercat23

Has anyone had a selfish boar that they were able to bond with another gpig? I would love Vash to have a friend but I have tried it once and it went terrible. I was going to keep the little boar that I got because I thought if I kept them seperate it would work but it did not. Vash seems not to want a friend he went so far as hopping up the steps to get the little boar. I am wondering if anyone had a situation like this and got them to bond with another gpig.

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All of my own boars are singles and none of them will take to another pig despite my best efforts! Some pigs just prefer the single life!

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone had a situation like this and got them to bond with another gpig.
Yes- me too! Rainbow
who we got as a piglet to live with Hugo had a huge fight with him at about 3 months and they had to be seperated. He chatters his teeth and rumbles (and you can tell he means it) at the others through the bars and I cant imagine he would ever accept a pal. I spent a lot of time worrying if he might be lonely... but now I know he prefers to be alone. In my previous set up with was multi storey he could hear and maybe smell other piggys but he became very quiet and inactive. However now he lives next door to my other piggys seperated only by a cube msh wall in the C&C cage. He really enjoys getting grumpy with the others and will threaten them then pop! But he cant hurt them because of the bars.

michellemuffin

Reaction score
pipercat23 said:
Has anyone had a selfish boar that they were able to bond with another gpig? I would love Vash to have a friend but I have tried it once and it went terrible. I was going to keep the little boar that I got because I thought if I kept them seperate it would work but it did not. Vash seems not to want a friend he went so far as hopping up the steps to get the little boar. I am wondering if anyone had a situation like this and got them to bond with another gpig.
its very rare but it has happened to me with Patch, he would not settle with any one else until i put him in with 2 others now they are the most sweetest trio ever, galaxy jinx and patch are the most happiest ever out of all of my pigs they curl up together and sleep touching each others and will wait patiently for veggies never nipping and are so sweet, artie and dobby will not mix though and are in seperate runs next to others, I do try occasionally but ver very watchful dipstick is on his own since alf died but i am hopeful he can be remixed

P

pipercat23

I am always thinking of a friend for Vash but he cannot stand anyone human or animal touching his stuff. The younger boar I tried to pair him up with after he was gone I had to erase any smell or reminder of him because Vash was going to get him. I think he has claimed our whole house he does not even like it if I talk to the betta fish in my room. If I thought he would remotely accept a friend I would do it but most of his actions tell me it is a big no. I guess I am lucky he has completely bonded with me and my parents. I can't even go to the store for awhile without him watching and squeaking for me. My mom called me to see were I was the other day because he was watching for me it was cute though she put me on speaker phone so he could hear me. I guess it is just weird how some guinea pigs bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.