• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boofles wee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
While on watch earlier Boofle had a wee and it was a thickish white substance. It soaked right through the paper, so there wasnt any residue left. Shes seems happy. Shes eating well, although shes not going through veggies like the other 2 do.I'm not sure if thats cos shes come from pets at home and all they fed them is pellets and shes not used to it. Shes drinking alot and eating her pellets.
Is this the start of the iminent babies.
Obviously I shall keep an eye on her wee.
But I have read that its her bodies way of getting rid of too much calcium. Any advice would be appreciated.

Creamy pee is indeed the way the body excretes superfluous calcium.

All it means is hat Boofle has all the calcium her body and the pups' bones need, and a bit extra! Nothing to worry about.

No its not gritty. Ive had a feel.
Shes eating broccoli and loves toms But I dont give her alot of toms.Thats about the only thing she likes. Oh and curly Kale. All my girls looove that
Other than that its hay and pellets. And plenty of water. Shes always at her bottle

Curly kale is high in calcium, broccoli is medium high.

Sooty had this problem (except, obviously, she was not pregnant). The vet (not the super amazing vet I now see, I hasten to add) gave me a very short list of things she should not eat, which included parsley and strawberries. I wanted more information, and found that there's a wonderful resource that I found, which I have used to try and balance the diet of all of my pigs - you can see it for yourself here: http://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

One of the things I found interesting was that pellets can be part of the problem (as they have added calcium), so my vet advised limiting the dry food I give the girls and making up for it with fresh food. As a general rule, I give them dried food in the morning, and a piggy banquet at night. Their staple food is lettuce; they love it and as long as you choose the right kind, it's a good daily food. They also tend to get a lot of cucumber, and carrot goes down well, too. All other fruit/veg is dependent on what we have in the house, but I buy lettuce especially for them.

What I have noticed is that Sooty loves the foods highest in calcium. Given the chance, she would choose broccoli over lettuce, but it's not as good for her. She has it occasionally, but it's more of an 'if you're very lucky' food than a staple food.

:)
H

Last edited:
You might also want to filter your water to remove calcium ions...your local water company should be able to provide an analysis of the calcium ion concentration in your tap water....this varies throughout the country.

HTH
x

You might also want to filter your water to remove calcium ions...your local water company should be able to provide an analysis of the calcium ion concentration in your tap water....this varies throughout the country.

HTH
x

It's hardwater in Sheerness, so the calcium content is quite high (I know this, because I live about 20 minutes away, and it's hardwater here, too). I've been looking for a reasonably priced water filter for my guinea pigs!

OOOOOOOOOOO. RIght.
We have a water softner tap. Hubs gonna change the filter over the weekend. That should help. THANKYOUU. I didnt think of that. Blinkin irriot

Are you in Sittingbourne ?

Warning re water filters!

If you are going to use a water filter...that's great...BUT....please change it regularly ie at least once every 2 months (or sooner if used more frequently than twice a day) Water filters nor changed regularly can become contaminated with Pseudomonas...harmful for humans.....bur devastating for guineas.

x

Debs, I'm in Rainham. Probably more like 30 - 40 mins away, on reflection, but we usually do it in two legs as my sister lives in S/bourne.

H
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back