Hot Topic Book Reviews and Recommendations

D

DM090820

I'm not sure if this has ever been posted before, but I'm assuming that given our enforced isolation that books are probably making a bit of a comeback. So this thread is for members to talk about the books they're currently reading, any review of books they've read and any special offers on books that users wish to share.

I'm currently reading quite a few (rarely finish everything).

The two I'll share are Spillover from David-Quammen and Heidi Blake.

Spillover (2012)
This non-fiction work details the recent history of communicable diseases, including reaction and anecdotes, with warnings about the future risks, by a jornalist with National Geographic magazine, so far I'm finding it particularly approachable and written in a conversational style.

From Russia with Blood (2019)
This non-fiction work is scrupulously researched and covers the links between organised crime and prominent figures within the Russian government, with particular emphasis on the development of, and continued presence within the UK specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I have just finished Felix Francis’ book “Triple Crown”
It’s a crime novel set in the USA with a British investigator helping the Americans deal with crime at the racecourses.

I’ve just started reading Lee Child’s book “61 Hours”.
It’s a crime thriller and seems very good so far.

Good idea for a thread @Falken

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm reading The Holiday by T M Logan. So far so good. Only thing is I'm pining for a holiday myself now! 😩

I also managed The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It took me THREE WEEKS. I found it hard going, some of the sentences and paragraphs were soooo long! 😲. I'm glad I got there in the end.

I buy all my books from The Works. Their prices are amazing and there are nearly always discount codes you can use. The only thing is they might not always stock the title you're specifically looking for, but me? I'll read anything! 😂 😂

Winniepeg

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I’m reading Lemn Sissay’s early life biography ‘My Name is ‘He is one of my favourite poets. It’s his story of his experiences bought up in children’s homes and foster care and how it failed him. I’d love to meet this gentleman someday true respect and admiration ❤️

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I'm about to re-read An Otter on The Aga by Rex Harper, this and An Eagle in the Airing Cupboard are his memories of his life running an Animal Sanctuary in Cornwall. I had the honour to meet this very special man and his equally special wife Julie several times when I lived in Cornwall. His memoir is very funny, heart warming and sometimes heart breaking.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Great thread idea @Falken

I am currently rereading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Ironically this was my choice for my online book club, and picked before Corvid-19.
It seems strangely fitting and slightly unsettling now...

And my 'for fun' read this month is The Secret Life of Bees - loving is so much.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Great thread idea @Falken

I am currently rereading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Ironically this was my choice for my online book club, and picked before Corvid-19.
It seems strangely fitting and slightly unsettling now...

And my 'for fun' read this month is The Secret Life of Bees - loving is so much.

The Secret Life of Bees is such a lovely read.

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I recommend the Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer. If you like psychological thrillers this is the one for you. It was my local Radio's book of the month and was on their book club. Well worth the read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also anything by Cecilia Ahern my fave author not been disappointed by anything she's written. Fifteen by Beverly Clearly I could read time and time again. The Laura Ingalls Wilder books are also a fave of mine. Harry Potter I could read again and again. I love Catherine Cookson novels.

Sonnet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Well, re-reading. Probably one of my favourite books. Also got The Secret Life of Birds - Colin Tudge on the go as well.

D

DM090820

Sorry for neglecting this thread :)

Brilliant recommendations from everyone, I've finished 'From Russia With Blood', will now move on to something else, although I've got to admit I've developed a bit of a taste for investigative journalism.

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry for neglecting this thread :)

Brilliant recommendations from everyone, I've finished 'From Russia With Blood', will now move on to something else, although I've got to admit I've developed a bit of a taste for investigative journalism.
Rather you than me!

Have you ever read any books by C S Lewis? 🤔