• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hot Topic Book Reviews and Recommendations

I've been re-reading some Terry Pratchett recently (the Death series, Jingo, Small Gods - all Discworld) and honestly, I'd recommend them to everyone. They're funny, smart and quite on the nose about certain social issues. Yeah yeah I know, fantasy novels and all that, but I'm serious. Well worth it.
I love these books and some of his later ones too, Going Postal is a favourite.

During lockdown, we are getting all the new books we’ve got onto our database and into the library (OH’s OCD - 5000 books and counting.......) I’ll admit some are mine but the majority are his! I have a trio of books by Katherine Arden - The Bear and the Nightingale; The Girl in the Tower and The Winter of the Witch. Sort of fantasy/fairy tale which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've been re-reading some Terry Pratchett recently (the Death series, Jingo, Small Gods - all Discworld) and honestly, I'd recommend them to everyone. They're funny, smart and quite on the nose about certain social issues. Yeah yeah I know, fantasy novels and all that, but I'm serious. Well worth it.
We've got lots of the Terry Pratchett books, many of them signed, as he was friends with my mother in law via an online literary forum many, many years ago when forums were a new thing! Might look them out for a bit of light hearted re-reading, I think they are in the bottom of the wardrobe under my emergency hay supplies :)

We've got lots of the Terry Pratchett books, many of them signed, as he was friends with my mother in law via an online literary forum many, many years ago when forums were a new thing! Might look them out for a bit of light hearted re-reading, I think they are in the bottom of the wardrobe under my emergency hay supplies :)

I genuinely love the books in general but the Death series is probably my favourite. They're definitely not morbid and the humour is definitely my thing. There's a reason Death is one of the best liked Discworld characters.

Sounds like I should try Terry again, maybe I was in th wrong mood for him when I tried him before.

I watched the movies first 🙈 I did think it was odd 🤔
The first movie was great. The second one was okay. The third, I almost flipping punch the tv when I was watching it! 🤣 I always read the book first before watching the movies (well apart from The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter because it's a lot😁), and I was so disappointed they didn't stick to what happened in the book. 🤦‍♀️👎

@piggieminder the books in Tesco were taken away! I’m sure because of current circumstances.

I recommend the Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer. If you like psychological thrillers this is the one for you. It was my local Radio's book of the month and was on their book club. Well worth the read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also anything by Cecilia Ahern my fave author not been disappointed by anything she's written. Fifteen by Beverly Clearly I could read time and time again. The Laura Ingalls Wilder books are also a fave of mine. Harry Potter I could read again and again. I love Catherine Cookson novels.
I've abandoned Michelle Obama and reverted to Harry Potter for "comfort reading". I've got all the Laura Ingalls Wilder, might go to those next.

I’ve been re-reading some of my favourite Anne McCaffrey books.
She wrote fantasy and they’re really good light reading.
I've just rediscovered her too. People have been going on about Iain M. Banks as a sci-fi writer for years so I finally tracked one down and it's ok, quite fun but so obviously a boy's read - way too bloodthirsty, I've had to skip pages in a few places. So I'll stick with Anne McCaffrey! (Alternated with Harry Potter and Laura Ingalls Wilder of course 😂)

I genuinely love the books in general but the Death series is probably my favourite. They're definitely not morbid and the humour is definitely my thing. There's a reason Death is one of the best liked Discworld characters.
I like Death too but I also like The Witches stories - Esme Weatherwax, Gytha Ogg and Magrat Garlick! Love Terry Pratchett books!

The book I am finding very useful at the most at the moment is The Complete Book of Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit by Matthew Biggs, Jekka McVicar and Bob Flowerdue. It's described as the definitive sourcebook for growing, harvesting and cooking. At the moment I am using it in the planting stage but every time I plant something I read it's whole section. From the cooking advice to see what I can do with the plant once it has produced it's useful bit to what medicinal use the plant has and a bit about it's history. This is a very useful and fascinating book at a time when growing your own is coming back into fashion.

Just finished Fingersmith by Sara Waters. The story didn't go as I thought it was going too, many surprising twists, it needed some concentration! An historical novel mainly set in London, which due to my family history journey I found fascinating. My paternal mother's side went from riches to rags during the early 1800's (just my luck it wasn't the other way). Thanks to 4x great uncle George and his gambling habit. I really enjoyed this novel.

I’ve bought one of Håkan Nesser’s books. I finished the one I was reading and the next in the series isn’t being released till next month. So something to bridge the gap!

Back