• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hot Topic Book Reviews and Recommendations

Halloween coming
Recommend me you favorite horror or mystery books set in isolated locations or confined spaces.
I finished The Broken Girls by Simone St. James last week and enjoyed it even more than her most recent novel, The Sun Down Motel. It isn't exactly horror, but it is a ghost story and incredibly creepy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halloween coming
Recommend me you favorite horror or mystery books set in isolated locations or confined spaces.
I finished The Broken Girls by Simone St. James last week and enjoyed it even more than her most recent novel, The Sun Down Motel. It isn't exactly horror, but it is a ghost story and incredibly creepy.
well the only one that has ever scared me, but this was a long time ago was Pet Cemetery ...by S.King.... :yikes: i don't read horror cos i get nightmares! but this thread has inspired me to get some reading done!

Hey yall - Thought I'd add on to this thread

For those who enjoy a more fantasy style books - check out the following:

1. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (book two: A Wise Mans Fear)
  2. Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
  3. Wheel of Times series (I'm in the first book and my partner says this is the best series ever)

Being a fan of crime fiction I'm enjoying reading the British Library Crime Classics.
They're re-releasing some of the forgotten books from the Golden Age of crime fiction - the inter-war years.
Most of them are a really good read.

I wondered about that one.
Will give it a go.
Recently discovered L J Ross - murder mysteries.. I’ve only read the first book “ Holy Island” so far but am looking forward to reading my way through the series

I wondered about that one.
Will give it a go.
Recently discovered L J Ross - murder mysteries.. I’ve only read the first book “ Holy Island” so far but am looking forward to reading my way through the series
It's not the normal murder type books I read, I'm more of a Rebus or Mark Billingham, but it's light hearted and enjoyable, there are bits that make me think of people I know and can see the conversations which make me laugh, I'm pleased I tried it.
Not heard of L J Ross, may add that to my list.

Now I'm reading "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, and I didn't expect that I liked this book. It's quite easy to read. If you like a twisted story you'll definitely like this one

@Her Nibship and I have just discovered a shared love for the books of C J Samson, Rory Clements and S J Parris so I thought rather than derail a different thread I should look out this one.
Any other fans of hefty historical fiction books out there?

Anything else people have been reading in this latest lockdown?

I love CJ Samson. I've not tried the other two but will make a note to look out for them. I've been re reading some Ann Cleeves recently as I ran out of un read books. I enjoy a good murder mystery.

Hey yall - Thought I'd add on to this thread

For those who enjoy a more fantasy style books - check out the following:

1. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (book two: A Wise Mans Fear)
  2. Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
  3. Wheel of Times series (I'm in the first book and my partner says this is the best series ever)
The Patrick Rothfuss books are very good but there's been such a big gap after book 2 that I'm wondering if he's given up on the trilogy.
The Wheel of Time is absolutely epic in it's scope! Masses of different groups & factions to keep track of & lots of strong female characters. It was a shame that Robert Jordan died before finishing the series (more of a shame for him & his family, obviously) but Brandon Sanderson did a good job of completing it. I've read the whole series 2 or 3 times and can feel it calling me again before too much longer!

Must look out for those. I haven’t come across them.
Life got a bit manic for a while so I started re-reading some of my favourite Terry Pratchett Disc World books - fun to read and easy on the brain.

Must look out for those. I haven’t come across them.
Life got a bit manic for a while so I started re-reading some of my favourite Terry Pratchett Disc World books - fun to read and easy on the brain.

There's very few people I know that don't enjoy Discworld...although my mother is one of them lol. I've been reading a bit of Lee Child again recently (the Jack Reacher series, don't remember if I've mentioned them before). He's good, although I prefer the early ones.

There's very few people I know that don't enjoy Discworld...although my mother is one of them lol. I've been reading a bit of Lee Child again recently (the Jack Reacher series, don't remember if I've mentioned them before). He's good, although I prefer the early ones.

I enjoyed Jack Reacher series, Lee Child did seem to go off a bit though didn't he. He wasn't someone I would have thought of reading but when my Dad died my Mum gave me his books, he must of had the first 8 or 9 of them. I carried on buying them whenever I saw a new one.

I think sometimes when an author becomes really popular they’re under pressure to write more and more books that they can either become repetitive or just lose track.
John Grisham went off a bit for a few books but seems to have recovered.

I think sometimes when an author becomes really popular they’re under pressure to write more and more books that they can either become repetitive or just lose track.
John Grisham went off a bit for a few books but seems to have recovered.
Absolutely agree! Also they start to co write and I suspect they just put their name to it.
We had a debate about Daphne Du Marier and Winston Graham, their style of writing changed a lot and both have novels attributed to them that seem to have been written by someone else.

A number of more recent Tom Clancy novels have been written by other authors but their names are on the books.
It’s Tom Clancy’s name that sells though.
It’s possibly a way of keeping a popular series fresh, encouraging new writers and allowing older authors to ease up a bit.

Back