• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Both of my guinea pigs constantly “click” their teeth

Jaxsoy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why my guinea pigs make this little “click” sound with their teeth. I had a previous piggy that did this as well, so it seems pretty common. It’s not the chattering they make when they’re agitated, it’s literally just a click noise. Is there a reason they do this? Here is a video of one of mine doing it

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Not heard that before so not sure...For context, when do they do it?

Jaxsoy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Not heard that before so not sure...For context, when do they do it?
They pretty much do it all of the time unless they’re eating (because they have food and their mouth and can’t). They both have done it ever since I’ve had them, and I’ve taken them to the vet and their teeth don’t have any issues

dan3008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At least one of mine does this from time to time. Even did it with the vet. As far as we can tell it's just a random noise some guineapigs seem to make

Bradshaw Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A couple of mine did it occasionally when they were younger, but haven’t done it since. Try not to worry. Beautiful piggie by the way! 😍

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Have you ever had your piggies' teeth vet checked? Clicking can in some instances indicate discomfort from overgrowing teeth.

dan3008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

Have you ever had your piggies' teeth vet checked? Clicking can in some instances indicate discomfort from overgrowing teeth.
Mine were actually at the vet for a teeth check last week lol. So not that for mine at least

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine were actually at the vet for a teeth check last week lol. So not that for mine at least
It is important to make sure that the clicking is not connected with a problem.