Boxing Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya All
Just wondered what you all do for Boxing Day Dinner?
This year Hubby and I will be going to his Brother's for Christmas Day and then we are doing dinner for my Auntie, Uncle & a family friend (possibly more) :)
And with us not having to buy Turkey and all the trimmings etc I wasn't sure what to cook.

I am thinking of making a lovely leg of Lamb with lots of nice vegetables but unsure what to do for dessert.
Usually later on in the evenings we tend to do abit of a buffet too, with wine, cheese and biscuits and nibbles.

Would love some great ideas :)
Thank you.
Love Stacey x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds really nice, can i come too:)). Make life easy for yourself and see what such as tesco have in the frozen section. Maybe other supermarkets do the same too, but they usually have some special things in for christmas. Marks and Spencer have some really nice food in too, depends what you want really. Have a lovely time and enjoy yourself.x>>

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sure can hun as long as you bring the piggies too :(|)
I'll have plenty of fresh veg for them all lol!

What traditional vegetables would you have with lamb?
I was thinking of doing roast potatoes in goose fat, carrots, brussels, cauliflower cheese and minted mash.
x

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Usually my dad makes a turkey and ham pie from the leftovers of christmas dinner

Reaction score
really down

I didnt really want to come on here with my problems. Because you are always so cheerful and helpful. So I'd like to ask if its ok if I go ahead and vent.

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sure can hun as long as you bring the piggies too :(|)
I'll have plenty of fresh veg for them all lol!

What traditional vegetables would you have with lamb?
I was thinking of doing roast potatoes in goose fat, carrots, brussels, cauliflower cheese and minted mash.
x
I don't think you will go far wrong with your choice, sounds lovely to me.
What time shall we all arrive?:))

Gems

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well for new year I'm doing lamb shank in a red wine sauce and I *think* I'm going to serve it on some crushed new potatoes ( will probably put butter and creme fraice in them ), some carrots, roasted parsnips with a honey glaze, sprouts with pancetta and maybe some brocolli and cauli. For desert I'm doing sticky toffee pudding with custard. Quite stodgy but I'm cooking for my parents and they like traditional food

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I didnt really want to come on here with my problems. Because you are always so cheerful and helpful. So I'd like to ask if its ok if I go ahead and vent.
Awww hun anytime you need to chat I'm here for you. x

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Steak pie everytime for me with loads of mash, cauliflower and broccoli!

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We are going to my fiance's mothers like we do every year :) We always have chips and turkey on boxing day and then in the evening we are going out with friends to watch my fave local band.

We also have the new house to think about and hopefully if all goes to plan I'm planning on throwing a house warming/new years party! Thats if we paint it in time and get everything moved.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me and oh will be spending Boxing Day and night in Birkenhead getting intoxicated with his family and spending the night in a Travelodge....so id like to say whoever cooks for me....it better be good...please.....:))

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well I am rather organised this year as I have just ordered all my food online for Boxing Day.Here is what we will be having.................

Starter: Leek & Potato soup with petit pain

Main: Leg of lamb, roast potatoes in goose fat, carrots, brussels, cauliflower cheese, stuffing, pigs in blankets and lamb gravy. May even do some minted mash potato.

Dessert: Toffee Swirl Cheesecake (no one likes xmas pudding so thought that was good idea).

Then coffee, mince pies & twilight chocolates.

Later on in the evening I've also got some party food with things like mini pizzas, chicken satay, mini quiches, indian selection, sausage rolls, peanuts. Cheese & crackers.

Not bad really as it has cost us £61. And all of this is going to feed 6 of us.
Just need to get the beverages in :)
x

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well I am rather organised this year as I have just ordered all my food online for Boxing Day.Here is what we will be having.................

Starter: Leek & Potato soup with petit pain

Main: Leg of lamb, roast potatoes in goose fat, carrots, brussels, cauliflower cheese, stuffing, pigs in blankets and lamb gravy. May even do some minted mash potato.

Dessert: Toffee Swirl Cheesecake (no one likes xmas pudding so thought that was good idea).

Then coffee, mince pies & twilight chocolates.

Later on in the evening I've also got some party food with things like mini pizzas, chicken satay, mini quiches, indian selection, sausage rolls, peanuts. Cheese & crackers.

Not bad really as it has cost us £61. And all of this is going to feed 6 of us.
Just need to get the beverages in :)
x
Even though I don't like lamb ... drool
We normally have warm honey roasted ham which my mum cooks and we carve it off and have it with cheese and crackers and other nibbles. Don't normally have a proper dinner! :x

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Even though I don't like lamb ... drool
We normally have warm honey roasted ham which my mum cooks and we carve it off and have it with cheese and crackers and other nibbles. Don't normally have a proper dinner! :x
Mmmm that sounds lush hun drool
I have been over to Asda this afternoon and bought all the booze too for Xmas and boxing day. I feel more excited about it all now and alot more organised.
We are going on holiday to Egypt on 13th dec for a week so it was important for me to get it all done.

i was thinking of doing a menu for my guests as abit of a laugh and sending it to them lol. what do * think? x

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds good, a bit like come dine with me! haha.. I just nearly fell off my chair while trying to get comfy! oops.
Ooooh Egypt, jealous! I was meant to go there with my OH but we can't afford it :( so we're going to the Isle of Wight for our 3 year anniversary instead.. not quite the same but oh well!

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds good, a bit like come dine with me! haha.. I just nearly fell off my chair while trying to get comfy! oops.
Ooooh Egypt, jealous! I was meant to go there with my OH but we can't afford it :( so we're going to the Isle of Wight for our 3 year anniversary instead.. not quite the same but oh well!
Hehe I'm not sure how to write a posh menu out, I want to do it like an invitation but with what we will eat on it too :)

Aww thats a shame about the holiday hun but still your getting a break away which will be nice x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All this food sounds lovely it is making me feel hungry. I am not cooking on boxing day I go to my mum and dads, I spend christmas day doing the cooking and entertaining so boxing day is my day off.:)

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hehe I'm not sure how to write a posh menu out, I want to do it like an invitation but with what we will eat on it too :)

Aww thats a shame about the holiday hun but still your getting a break away which will be nice x
You might find a template of menus on microsoft publisher :)) make it nice and fancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.