Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

minky

Hiya all i wonder if you can give me some advice as most of you know i have 2 boys and 2 girls in separate cages but both in the same shed, no probs there, however ive just been sorting the mess that the girls had made, id cleaned the hutch where the boys are when i put them back Nigel started chasing Rosie(other boar) Rosie back up and started chattering with his teeth no blood and no bites but seemed to be getting a little agressive. Ive had the girls for over a week and though i know they squabble i havent noticed this sort of behavious before. Yes they can see the girls but Nigel has always been the more doominant male and frequently tries to mount ! Now shortly i am going to be making the shed into a freerange and splitting the main hutch in half so the =girls can share the half . I'm concerned that maybe becuase Nigel can see and smell the girls he might strt attacking rosie,. I noticed as well when rosie sees the girls he just sits and watches he is so placid and not bothered by them at all but its deffo opposite with Nigel

What do you think should i separate them or just wait and see what happens when i do the freerange ?

Cheers guys

Reaction score
why dont you castrate the boars, and have one boy and one girl each together, they are all happy and no fighting?

its just from what I have heard, if the boys can smell and hear and see the females, its as bad as if they were with them in the same cage - eventually they will start fighting over them.

but you might want to wait and see what the experts have to say.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I caused mayhem when i put a pair of boars into a hutch that was to the side of where there were girls (with a neutered boy), they were throwing themselves into their hayracks & at the bars of the cage. They started to chase one another & mounting each other. Before this they had displayed none of this behaviour - I quickly moved them; there was still a bit of chasing & rumbling between them but thankfully it calmed down after approx 10 mins but i dread to think what would've happened had i left them.

Reaction score
How old did u say the boys were?,mine are 8 weeks old and seem fine at mo,they live below 3 10 week old girls,or do u think this will change? ?

M

minky

The boys are 4 months old now but i have only just had the girls and they ae 6 months

It seems to have calmed them down this afternoon but i think the quicker i can get them freerange maybe the better, i can at least block them off from each other any problems and i may well consider having Nigel snipped ! maybe that wud calm him down

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
minky said:
The boys are 4 months old now but i have only just had the girls and they ae 6 months

It seems to have calmed them down this afternoon but i think the quicker i can get them freerange maybe the better, i can at least block them off from each other any problems and i may well consider having Nigel snipped ! maybe that wud calm him down
My understanding is that neutering piggies has no effect on their behaviour but i'm sure someone will know for definite :)

G

gothchick1515

Zubin and eddie are near my girls and they do rumble but theres no aggression, and its not easy getting a male whose neutered to be accepted by other girls mine just wont take to him!

Status
Not open for further replies.