Broody for a bunster, please put me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I adore my piggies don't get me wrong but I can't help yearning for a bun, even more so after I had to give my rabbit Margaret away (she had really bad fear aggression, was depressed and due to excessive moulting I was allergic to her :(

I really want another, some sort of mini rex as I know they don't moult as much, but please put me off wanting a bun...sounds crazy I know but my mum and dad aren't keen and say I've got enough with the piggles. (Though I know that if I want Houdini the rescue pig I posted about last night they will give in lol)

I'm not missing out on anything by not having a bun am I?...I mean they just make a mess and erm...thump and stuff...ahhh I'm not even convincing myself! I want one soooo bad x)

Please put me off and point out the bad parts of bunny ownership (though I doubt I will be put off...even if they did do mountains of poop and chew up my things :))

threelittlepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes, I have two bunsters and they are a lot of work. The way I see it it is not so much the number of animals you have that makes the work but the number of different set ups you have to have to cater for them.

If you have rehomed an animal due to allergies in the past that is a definite red flag as far as I am concerned. You are likely to be just as allergic to another rabbit irrespective of breed.

Reaction score
Have a read of http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/iarfm_feb_06.pdf

You cant just have 1 bunny you have to have 2 as it would be unfare to keep one on its own!

hope that helps:))

I was going to say this :)

Does should be spayed to prevent uterine cancer. Bucks should be neutered unlike boars it does alter their behaviour and make them nicer lol
They need routine vaccs - Myxo (every 6-12months depending on area) and VHD every 12 months. They should also be wormed routinely.

They need A LOT of space!

Rabbits are the third most popular pet in the UK but they are the most neglected http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterwedderburn/100036419/rabbits-britains-most-neglected-pets/

I would have a read of every leaflet on here if you can
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html#rabbitcare

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I have two bunsters and they are a lot of work. The way I see it it is not so much the number of animals you have that makes the work but the number of different set ups you have to have to cater for them.

If you have rehomed an animal due to allergies in the past that is a definite red flag as far as I am concerned. You are likely to be just as allergic to another rabbit irrespective of breed.

Regarding my allergies it was because Margaret was a permanent moulter, she shed like there was no tomorrow. I go to college where I regularly work with the rabbits there and never once have I been allergic and I spend hours cleaning them out and handling. I know rabbits should be kept in pairs but surely as with guinea pigs you sometimes get singles?

Reaction score
I know rabbits should be kept in pairs but surely as with guinea pigs you sometimes get singles?

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

My bunny Archie lived on his own for about 8 / 9 months (from being adopted... neutered... adopting Holly waiting for her to be old enough to be spayed etc...) the change in him being a lone bunny to a pair was amazing. He's so much happier now (4 years on :)) )
I don't think I'd want a lone bunny again now. It is all personal choice I suppose though.

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Regarding my allergies it was because Margaret was a permanent moulter, she shed like there was no tomorrow. I go to college where I regularly work with the rabbits there and never once have I been allergic and I spend hours cleaning them out and handling. I know rabbits should be kept in pairs but surely as with guinea pigs you sometimes get singles?

guinea pigs are sometimes kept in singles BUT only really if they will not take to another guinea pig, rabbits really do become depressed on their own and really do enjoy another rabbit for company they do more together ie wash each other cuddle each other, were guinea pigs talk to each other.
rabbits are affectinate with each other, they really do need a friend.

sometimes you will get a rabbit that does hate other rabbits but it would be best to get one from a rescue that knows the rabbit wants to be on its own, or else how would you know? you could buy a bunny and keep it on its own when all it really wants is a friend.

my tara was on her own for 4yrs as i thought she was happy she now has a husbun and the difference in her i now know she wasnt happy and infact really depressed.

please think about the rabbits happiness and not your own!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd never get an animal from a pet shop really, rescue is always the way to go. I just miss having a bun hopping around my room, Margaret was viscious but I did grow so attached to her as did my dad who spent hours with her everyday whilst I was at college. I doubt they would let me get another bun though :(

I'm lucky to have the pigs, my dad has a thing about not liking rodents. He's scared of rats and mice and doesn't like hamsters, I think it's anything with a tail he doesn't like lol :))

Oh and Margaret was spayed to try and calm her down but it did nothing, her old owner had rescued her and then had her for a year or so before I got her. Margaret made no improvement despite her old owner spending tons of time with her and trying to bond her with another bun, she was having none of it lol.

And I always think of my animals before myself :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well there's plenty here to put you off already! But, just think how you would feel if you did get another bunny and ended up having to rehome it again, especially if you've rescued it. It would be heartbreaking for you, it really would :( I would love a rabbit myself so badly but I just don't have the room unfortunately as the guinea pigs live like kings and have all the spare room I have :))

mstori

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
washington, tyne and wear, uk (unfortunately lol)
as with above.. you cant have just 1 :))

also.. its not just the expense of vacs, spaying etc its replacing things they have nibbled.. mine have a particular love of laptop chargers rolleyes haha

Ive just had my 4 spayed/neutered and it was a bit of a trauma getting them to live together (which i didnt expect) also after neuter/spay they have to be in seperate cages for 10 days.

My ex now has 4 bunnies all living seperately after falling out.. which is causing him problems, and is very time consuming giving them all floor time in seperate areas.

and if you are allergic, there are plenty of other pets that may be more suitable. Ive been scratched and kicked from the bunnies, and have gone through a few hutches too..:))

tori x

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

as a huge allergy sufferer - trust me - you will STILL have an allergic reaction. You're gonna have to come into contact with bunny, so you'll be getting the hair on you that way, and also grooming and stuff. Unlike where you work, the fur and dander will be in your home environment.

Don't get me wrong - I'm allergic to ALL my pets (even the reptiles - allergic to their skin!) and I still have over 40 pets despite my immunologist telling me I should get rid of them all and change my career plans - I told him where to go on that one - but if you gave the previous rabbit away due to an allergy - I really wouldn't get another rabbit!

Last edited:

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bunnies are great but they are so much more work than guinea pigs, and they need so much space. And I do think they need company, unless you happen to find one in a rescue that just hates other buns . . . it's kinda unlikely though.

Why don't you just get Houdini for now and see how you feel after a few months :)

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
.........well i could say NO DON"T DO IT..............but i think somehow you're gonna anyways rolleyes:x

Just make sure you've thought ALL OF it thru first.........then if you can finance, have time, food etc....... well me not saying another thing ....:)

Fudge and Rainbow :)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh how could anyone not love bunnies?! x) I have 4 and wouldn't change them for the world. :) They are hard work though and very expensive. My 4 cost me over £500 last year and one of my buns has dental problems which costs £10.50 every month. :(

It's usually best to have 2 or more bunnies living together but like stated before, if you can only get one, find a rescue looking to rehome a single rabbit who wont get along with others.

There's neutering and spaying to pay for unless you adopt from a rescue that has already had them done (most do) There's also the vaccinations to pay for; myxi every 6 months and vhd yearly which can add up to be quite costly.

Also, housing has to be big. If outside, a shed or wendy house with attached run is best. If not possible, then at least a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch witha 6ft x 4ft run attached. :)

Food and bedding can get expensive too. They need hay at all times, it should be 80-90% of their diet and my lot eat it fast so you need to buy it often. It all adds up. ;)

Apart from all that, they are lovely animals and I would have loads if I could. :))

Fudge and Rainbow :)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh how could anyone not love bunnies?! x) I have 4 and wouldn't change them for the world. :) They are hard work though and very expensive. My 4 cost me over £500 last year and one of my buns has dental problems which costs £10.50 every month. :(

It's usually best to have 2 or more bunnies living together but like stated before, if you can only get one, find a rescue looking to rehome a single rabbit who wont get along with others.

There's neutering and spaying to pay for unless you adopt from a rescue that has already had them done (most do) There's also the vaccinations to pay for; myxi every 6 months and vhd yearly which can add up to be quite costly.

Also, housing has to be big. If outside, a shed or wendy house with attached run is best. If not possible, then at least a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch witha 6ft x 4ft run attached. :)

Food and bedding can get expensive too. They need hay at all times, it should be 80-90% of their diet and my lot eat it fast so you need to buy it often. It all adds up. ;)

Apart from all that, they are lovely animals and I would have loads if I could. :))

mrs ord

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt and say I think your being selfish. You already gave a bunny away for alergy reasons. Alergies don't just disapear and I think your being a bit naive to think that another rabbit will be different. Rex's tend to suffer with sore hocks so you'd be looking at a lot of extra care and probable vet bills with this breed. If your last rabbit was aggresive and this was a factor in giving up the rabbit and new one is not guaranteed to be any better. They are notoriously difficuilt to form bonds with and take huge amounts of time and effort to become friendly I have four and two are still a little shy two years down the line. You would need to take two rabbits as tbh I don't believe there is such a thing as an unbondable rabbit. They live in huge groups and to keep a single rabbit is unnatural you are human and not a suitable substitue for bunny to interact with.

I don't want to be harsh but you really need to face up to the facts and face the reality of what your considering. The likely outcome of this is another rabbit ending up in rescue (if its lucky) and the rescues are bursting and due to take in many more in a few months after the anual easter fall out.

Tracyxx

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry but rabbits aren't any more work than any other pet, once vaccs and spaying/neutering is done all they need is excercise, love, food, hay..same as piggies but different too, buns are amazing pets. I've only had Isabella two weeks and I'm already head over heels. She's so interactive and clever, she has littertrained herself, she recognises me and my voice..

006-1.jpg

How can anyone not love a face like that?

HOWEVER if you've had an allergic reaction then they aren't the pet for you. You have to think about the animal before yourself and if you're allergic you aren't going to be able to give them the love they need.

Reaction score
HOWEVER if you've had an allergic reaction then they aren't the pet for you. You have to think about the animal before yourself and if you're allergic you aren't going to be able to give them the love they need.

Especially if they are to be a lone bun as they will need a lot more attention. Bunnies absolutely love nose rubs x)

Tracyxx

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Isabella is only ten weeks old and already nudges my hand for a head rub! Who knows what she'll be demanding next, diamond encrusted carrots? :))

Status
Not open for further replies.