• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Brown Lump Between Nose And Lips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueJ

New Born Pup
Reaction score
image.jpg
Our Guinea has developed a small lump under his nose looks a bit like a wart or skin tag? Any ideas? Will get him checked by my vet if need be x

It looks like cheilitis, which is caused by eating fruit/tomatoes too often or too much. The acid in the fruit can cause tiny cracks in the skin through which fungus or bacteria can get in. He will need to see a vet for a proper diagnosis and a decision on whether he will need fungal or bacterial treatment.
http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

I did wonder actually as he has had a normal tomato halved each day instead of his usual cherry tomatoes! He had a similar reaction to a piece of apple when he was younger so we no longer give him Apple. Thanks x

I did wonder actually as he has had a normal tomato halved each day instead of his usual cherry tomatoes! He had a similar reaction to a piece of apple when he was younger so we no longer give him Apple. Thanks x

Please feed fruit (including tomato) no more than twice a week. On a daily basis it is too often and is likely to cause cheilitis. Not all guinea pigs are equally susceptible to fruit/tomato acid, but some can be very susceptible. I would recommend to stay off of any fruit and tomato in the future, especially in the near future.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

Ok we will do in future,thank you for the advice. He has cucumber and spinach daily alongside his hay and pellet food. Presume that's ok?

Spinach is very high in calcium and can lead to bladder problems in the long term; it should only be fed occasionally rather as a treat. What is missing from your diet however is high vitamin C food, like pepper of any colour or a sprig of coriander/cilantro.

Please have a read through our balanced diet thread; it is all explained in detail in there. ;)

He does have pepper occasionally too, I honestly thought spinach was fine. What would you recommend on a daily basis then?

Thanks for all your help I have read your section on a healthy diet and will take note x

Thanks for all your help I have read your section on a healthy diet and will take note x

We have made very good long term experiences with the recommended or very similar diets. It cuts especially down on the occurrance of bladder stones to which guinea pigs are very prone to due to their alcaline urine. there are of course other factors that play into this, but a balanced diet with regular vitamin C and not too much calcium, boosted by filtered water, can really contribute towards you not having to deal with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back