• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bruised Body & Broken Teeth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My poor little Jinky decided to take a running jump from my lap today! Don't know why, there were no sudden moves or loud noises to startle him but he took a leap and smashed out his front teeth and he has a big bruise on hisside now as well. :...Will his teeth grow back? I can make at vet appointment for tomorrow but if I try to take him today they charge $150 which I don't have.
Why would my normally sweet and docile piggy DO this?mallethead

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no, poor thing!:( I don't know about teeth...hope he's ok though. Good luck at the vets :)

Reaction score
Ye his teeth will grow back in a couple of weeks because they will have just snapped. Until they grow back you might need to cut his veggies into chunks/battons so that he can pick them up.

Maybe a check up would be a good idea though if he is bruised.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your shock! Please have him checked by a vet tomorrow for sprains and whether the remaining stumps are loose and need treatment.

Until then keep him quiet and cosy. He will have problems eating, so you need to soak his pellets in some water and feed him the slush until you can get proper recovery food. At first, it is best to puree veg, or place very finely chopped bits well into his mouth where he can chew them.

Can you get children's nurofen/ibuprofen syrup or the US equivalent from the pharmacy tonight? You can give him up to 0.2 ml to make him feel more comfy as he must hurt a lot!

Here is more on teeth and hand feeding:
http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
You'd be best to take him to the vets, poor little baby :( he needs to be checked out thoroughly.
Their toofies do grow back, i learnt this from experience too! :{
Meanwhile feed him chopped up foods to make it easier for him to eat :)
Piggies can quite suddenly decide to jump.......just be careful with him, the little rascal rolleyes
Best of luck with Jinky xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and keep us updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.