Budgies?

LMPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

We are considering getting my animal obsessed daughter some budgies, so I am currently doing research. Does anyone have any particular source of information about budgerigars or birdkeeping generally that they would recommend? Obviously, we will look into some books, but this forum has been such a help for the guineas, I wondered if there was any sort of equivalent?

Thanks

Hannah_xx

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
Hello,

We are considering getting my animal obsessed daughter some budgies, so I am currently doing research. Does anyone have any particular source of information about budgerigars or birdkeeping generally that they would recommend? Obviously, we will look into some books, but this forum has been such a help for the guineas, I wondered if there was any sort of equivalent?

Thanks
Hi!
Budgies are awesome little bundles of joy! But they are a small parrot. Which means the do require quite a bit of work. The are very active and very social, Budgies do better in pairs or groups. And a large cage is required to offer them space to play and fly. As with all birds, time outside the cage ( if kept indoors) is very important.
All birds are extremely sensitive to many smells. Teflon, PTFE, non-stick appliances, candles, incense, cleaning chemicals and many more fumes are highly toxic to birds. So this is a huge factor to consider where the bird will be houses. But even through walls and doors these invisible fumes can kill.
Budgies, much like piggies. Require veggies to supplement their diet. It’s hard to transitions birds onto pellets rather than seed. So I find a good mix of both works well.
Budgies enjoy exploring a playing with bird safe toys. Careful of any cheap toys that contain cheap metals, as once again. Parrots will get metal poisoning. Also avoid man made fibres, strings, threads and rope. They can cause strangulation or build up of fibres in their stomach.
I have 4 male budgies, They are awesome, fun and joyful birds :luv:

644B30FD-E1CD-4AAF-B300-A59FE1989497.jpeg511F5610-6814-407C-B666-DB14455C474B.jpeg07EAC863-2198-48EF-87D5-A01CDBD97C69.jpeg

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I love budgies, but as Hannah says, they are quite sensitive pets and not that easy to keep. I no longer have any, but when I did, they were free flying during the day meaning we had to “budgie proof” certain rooms and build them places to perch and roost. They were quite destructive (picking at fabrics, wallpaper, painted surfaces etc). Mine went back into their cage to roost at night, but didn’t like being kept in there for prolonged periods.