• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bumble has an abcess :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had a cold for the past few days so have been staying away from the piggies so they don't catch it. My mum has kindly been on piggy duty for me.

Today she was cleaning out Bumble, and when she picked him up I heard her shout 'yeeeuck you stink!'. I went outside and he did really pong, so I (with a hankie over my face to prevent cold germs spreading!) started giving him a brush.

Brushed him all over, then picked him up to do his tummy, and I found a big lump next to his non-existant manly bits...which would explain the disgusting smell as it looks like an abcess :( :(

He has been eating, drinking and popcorning like the rest of them, and was fine last Thursday when I last did a check over. I feel so bad for not noticing it, I was trying to keep them all cold-free and in the process I have missed my little man getting poorly :( I am a bad piggy mummy :( :(

Vets later to get it flushed and another course of antibiotics I am sure. Poor Bumble has really had a rough time with this neutering!

hetherj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor boy! It's tough when you try to do the right thing and then something else goes wrong

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw, poor Bumble. Don't beat yourself up - they seem to come from nowhere.

Boris had an abscess very similar and he was just the same - eating and bouncing around. He had a course of baytril and now you'd never know anything had ever been wrong :)

Gentle hugs to you nad Bumble. Hope he gets well soon xx (and you too!)

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww poor Bumble. We'll keep everything crossed here and hope that his absesce is cleared up nice and quickly.

You're definitely NOT a bad piggy mum! You know how it works, if you had been in more contact with him he would have picked up a cold and he'd need a course of anti-biotics now as well as having an absesce - which you couldn't have prevented any way. This way Bumble is fighting fit when he needs to recover and not trying to recover from two things at once :)

Healing wishes from the 4 of us here for Bumble and your cold :)

Status
Not open for further replies.