• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Bump/ crusty skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
So, Figgy has a lot of hair so I can't see or tak a picture of it. He's been balding a little in some parts lately but I thought it was barbering because he has no wound or pain or mites around the bald patch. But lest night I was holding him and felt in his balding patch, really lump crusty skin. We're taking him to the vet tomorrow but I thought you might help me find out what it might be?

mobunny

Hi,

Sounds like mites to me, you can't always see them with the naked eye but the vet will be a ble to do a scrapping and put it under a microscope.

Good luck at the vets I'm sure they will get it sorted.

maureen

Hi,

Sounds like mites to me, you can't always see them with the naked eye but the vet will be a ble to do a scrapping and put it under a microscope.

Good luck at the vets I'm sure they will get it sorted.

maureen
Thank you very much c:
Turns out the vet was closed so we can't get there until Monday. A big flake of skin with heir stuck to it came out of him today after his bath. :c

We STILL haven't got him to the vet, she's been closed for a while! I picked him up a few minutes ago and now I'm really scared because he had a patch of dired blood on him. Please help me :c

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Sounds like it could be mites to me or possibly an infection.
It's definetly worth taking a trip to the vets if you are worried hun.

Hope the piggy is better soon. xxxxx

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Is the hair greasy?

If you were to give the hair a light tug does it fall out ? (around the affected area)

Could be fungal OR if the hair doesn't come out when lightly tugged its most likely mange

Its also worth disinfecting his whole cage / hutch

Last edited:
Is the hair greasy?

If you were to give the hair a light tug does it fall out ? (around the affected area)

Could be fungal OR if the hair doesn't come out when lightly tugged its most likely mange

Its also worth disinfecting his whole cage / hutch
Thank you
We have disinfected his hutch completely and washed him and his cagemate.

The hair around the infected area is.. Well, non existent, like I said, he's balded in that area. I can see his skin and it seems to have white spots on it. There are a few red scabs/ dry blood patches and the white spots that are worrying.
Obviously the hair is falling out because he has balded there, unless he's been barbering to get at the itchy spot, maybe?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Have you got anything like Nizoral shampoo you could bathe him in ? That is an anti-fungal shampoo

Also www.gorgeousguineas.com does some melts and shampoos for fungal & mange.

There is also a page and photos to help you identify what he may have

Have * got anything like Nizoral shampoo you could bathe him in ? That is an anti-fungal shampoo

Also www.gorgeousguineas.com does some melts and shampoos for fungal & mange.
I don't unfortunately, but if it is fungal the vet will probably prescribe him some shampoo, or I'll ask her about it.

If it is fungal and she doesn't have any shampoos, I'll probably get some gorgeous guinea things (Figgy and Serge would both enjoy a nice smelly bath~)
Thanks very much for your help.

lauralucy

Forum Donator 2017/18
i wouldnt worry to much about bathing it off, i think like us it would only come off it was ready to if you want to bath them go for it. your welcome :)

i wouldnt worry to much about bathing it off, i think like us it would only come off it was ready to if you want to bath them go for it. your welcome :)
Hm? Come off? It is a large part of his skin that is affected around his hip. The scab/thing is gone but he's still got a lot of stuff going on there. i think it could be a parasite as there are small spots on the skin where they may have burrowed in.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
* could order some Xeno 450 online if your struggling to get to the vets. I'm treating mine for mites and brought the treatment myself as I was constantly back and forth from the vets for other things and I am poor now.

Status
Not open for further replies.