Bunny trouble can it be resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Splats pigglies

Hi everyone,
I am in need of urgent help, :-\I have three bunnies, Sasha female belgian hare, Fiver male perlfee and Bo female albino medium sized rabbit. Basically i am planning on building a large avairy type brick building for me rabbits and guinea pigs to live in, however sasha and bo do not get on and when i let them out yesterday it appears they had a fight when i wasnt watching with the result ending in bo biting and wounding sashas throat, now usually bo runs away from sasha but this time the tables turned. is there anyway i can get my rabbits to get on and also now that bo has had her turn of dominance is there more chance the two will now get on?

Another question is that i am planning to keep a baby from each of the two litters as bo and sasha both currently have babies (fiver has done his work well0 if i introduce the babies at an early age will they get on and also when sasha an bo are leaving with other adult females is it more likely they will get one?

If anyone has any advice id be most greatful thankyou Nat xx

Mary

Reaction score
Hope this helps! Rabbits do tend to change when they have babies and this might be why. I had a lovely rabbit but once she had a litter she was so different. At the mo I have a castrated male and a female rabbit and they have lived together for over a year. I have had to put them in different huntches other wise they would kill each other. I have been told that it is best to get the female spayed as this would help. Females tend to get very protective over their areas. I would be very careful about which rabbits you tend to keep as you really need to sort the adult ones out first.

Mary

S

Splats pigglies

Thanks for the info however Sasha and Bo have never got on to be honest and its a real shame, i just wish they would get on. However i have noticed that since Bo has had her babies she has become more aggressive with me :(

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unneutered male buns and unspayed does will not generally get on. Females are usually extremely territorial and can be very aggressive. You really need to neuter/spay and introduce carefully, and then there's still no guarantee they'll get on. The babies will get on until their hormones kick in and then they'll need separating until neutered/spayed. www.forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk is a really good site for rabbit advice. Be careful as rabbits can inflict serious injuries on each other, good luck

Kathryn xx

M

maxthepig

I agree with Kathryn, you really will have a hard job introducing them unspayed- they are too hormonal.

S

Splats pigglies

Do you mean two males wot go together and two females wont go together unless spayed or neutered, because my male and female (belgian hare) got on perfectly well until i had to seperate them due to Sasha having babies.

Nat xx

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you had a unneutered male and unspayed female get along you have been really lucky, it's not the norm. Once seperated though they've probably forgotten being friends, I know with my pair (both neutered/spayed) I've been advised not to split them even for vet trips. Obviously they're not going to breed so I've got no reason to split them. I have a friend who has two unspayed doe sisters who are very happy together but have no personal experience of that myself.

M

maxthepig

You're not planning on keeping the pigs and rabbits together are you?

You need to get all three neutered and re-introduce them on neutral territory when their hormones have died down.

S

Splats pigglies

Yes my guinea pig and rabbit are currently living together and getting on fine, the guinea hates being by himself

Nat x

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Splats pigglies said:
Yes my guinea pig and rabbit are currently living together and getting on fine, the guinea hates being by himself

Nat x
The current advice is NOT to keep guinea-pigs and rabbits together. There is something in rabbit food that slowly poisons guinea pigs, rabbits should not have the quantity of veg that guinea pigs have and lastly a rabbit can kill or seriously injure a guinea pig.

If your guinea pig hates being by himself, and most do, get him a friend. They are a different species and cannot communicate with each other, a bit like a human being kept alone with a only a chimpanzee for company ;D

S

Splats pigglies

He did have a friend Archie, however after having introduced them to the females as i breed my guinea they obviously now hate each other. So sadly they cant stay together.

nat x

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is very hard to have female buns live together. My female accidentely got pregs and I kept a boy and a girl and the owner of the male kept the other two. As soon as the babies were old enough I had them neutered and also the mother. The two females never got along even though they were mother and daughter. The daughter has since died and I have mother and son together with no problems. I would say rehome the babies and have all your rabbits neutered. You may be lucky that they will get along but there are no guarantees.

S

Splats pigglies

Hi,
thanks for the advice. However,
I have read posts about me on the rabbits united forum, and I am not planning on putting the male an female rabbits back together and hoping that they will be "friends" I know that this will not work for a number of reasons including the stress and poor condition it will bring unto the doe with constant breeding. I do not usually breed rabbits and this was a one off with her, and i am actually considering getting the male neutered as was the orginal plan when I had him to go with my female after the first litter I will get him spayed.

I was meerly askng for some help on the matter and when my avairy is built i was planning on rotating the rabbits around so that they could have a larger area to run in every so often.

Please do not think i am "going off on one" I am meerly trying to make it clear that I am not stupid or act cruelly to my animals :( I do love them and if i see problems occur I do try not to make them worse. I hope you do not think i know nothing at all regarding rabbits and guinea pigs as i have had them all my life guinea pigs especially and I am also undergoing a degree on Animal management so I do know a few things.
My rabbits are all in seperate cages of course obviously my male which i have mentioned before.

All i wanted was advice, which you gave and I took (if this is sounding a nasty post, it isnt meant to be, like I said I am just tryig to set things straight)

Nat x

P.S. Can I add that I do not breed my guinea pigs constantly, I have three sows, one of which I have kept (Trudy) who is a previous baby. So 2 sows which I have bred from with them having a max of 2 littlers per year. So they too are not in poor condition or treated poorly by constant litters. Thankyou

hopperhaven

Reaction score
The only way to resolve your bunny trouble is to get them all neutered and to provide them all with an adequete amount of space. The RSPCA minimum standards are a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch with an attached 6ft by 6ft by 3ft tall run to which they have access all day. If you can't provide this for them you should rethink keeping them let alone breeding more. Similarly guinea pigs need 4ft by 2ft hutches with attached runs plus indoor accomdation for the winter. They are both very social species and need comapnionship.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Splats pigglies said:
Hi,
thanks for the advice. However,
I have read posts about me on the rabbits united forum, and I am not planning on putting the male an female rabbits back together and hoping that they will be "friends" I know that this will not work for a number of reasons including the stress and poor condition it will bring unto the doe with constant breeding. I do not usually breed rabbits and this was a one off with her, and i am actually considering getting the male neutered as was the orginal plan when I had him to go with my female after the first litter I will get him spayed.

I was meerly askng for some help on the matter and when my avairy is built i was planning on rotating the rabbits around so that they could have a larger area to run in every so often.

Please do not think i am "going off on one" I am meerly trying to make it clear that I am not stupid or act cruelly to my animals :( I do love them and if i see problems occur I do try not to make them worse. I hope you do not think i know nothing at all regarding rabbits and guinea pigs as i have had them all my life guinea pigs especially and I am also undergoing a degree on Animal management so I do know a few things.
My rabbits are all in seperate cages of course obviously my male which i have mentioned before.

All i wanted was advice, which you gave and I took (if this is sounding a nasty post, it isnt meant to be, like I said I am just tryig to set things straight)

Nat x

P.S. Can I add that I do not breed my guinea pigs constantly, I have three sows, one of which I have kept (Trudy) who is a previous baby. So 2 sows which I have bred from with them having a max of 2 littlers per year. So they too are not in poor condition or treated poorly by constant litters. Thankyou
No one has suggested you are stupid or cruel. In fact by posting for advice you automatically become better than the vast majority of pet owners who don't care :)

However, your original post was worded in such a way to make me think you were inexperienced. Firstly you said both your buns, Bo and Sasha had had babies and then you put them together and Bo injured Sasha's throad. You also said Fiver had 'done his work well' which suggests a deliberate breeding attempt. You then go on to say your guinea pig lives with the rabbits as he 'hates being by himself'.

Now I would say if you have kept guinea pigs for years and are also doing an degree in Animal Management, I would have thought you would know the current advice is not to keep guinea pigs and rabbits together. My vet also strongly advises spaying rabbits to prevent the very high occurrence of uterine cancer in unspayed does. Finally I would have thought that if you were an experienced and knowledgeable bunny owner you would have known the likelihood of Bo and Sasha fighting would have been extremely high and not leave them alone to allow one to injure the other. Bo could have easily killed Sasha. And then you say now Bo's 'had her turn at dominance' so would there be more chance they'd get on - again suggesting you are not experienced as rabbits don't take turns in dominance, they will fight until death if necessary.

Mandy and I have tried to help you and I'm sorry if you disagree with the advice. The rabbit rehome forum focuses mainly on rescued buns, not ones used for breeding, which is why people have criticised you for not spaying/neutering. There are some people on there who don't agree with spaying but nearly everyone on the forum believes that with hundreds of neglected rabbits there is no need to deliberately breed any more. Sorry if you felt you've been criticised, as I said I'm sure you are a caring owner, but you asked for advice and you got it ;)

S

Splats pigglies

Hello,
I can see how I have been percieved as unexperianced and yes I am quite embarassed with some of the mistakes I have made. The largest mistake being that of letting both Bo and Sasha out together I wont be doing it again sorry girls :-\

I did want fiver to breed with Sasha, however when we first got Bobtail I was away and my mom had put them together and it seems that Fiver must have mated with Bo when they were all let out,(as a month later she had babies) even though I had told my mom not to put them together in case Bo was carry any parasite or disease. Not that I am casting the blame onto my mom I'm just showing my mistakes.

As for the guinea pig part I really do not know what I can do with little Eric as he makes such beautiful babies but needs a friend and as you have said he cannot live with fiver. Any suggestions for this one?...would a cuddly toy work do you think?

Thanks for the advise, I am greatful for it was just a bit aggrivated when I found the other post :-\ as i was suprised to see it on there where I am not a member than on here.

Nat x

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think you've made some very good points kayjay. My female got pregs when being boarded. Luckily the males owner took 2 babies and i kept the other 2. I could'nt bear to think of someone coming along wanting a "fluffy bunny" as a pet for their child. They, on the whole do not stay cute and cuddly for long. Unless neutered they become very hormonal and aggressive when they mature. (I once had a female who flew at my hand with ears back every timeI tried to fill her food bowl.) A lot of owners, rather than going to the expense of having them neutered, end up leaving them alone in hutch at the bottom of the garden which is why they are one of the most neglected pets ever. By the way I don't for a minute believe this to be the case of the OP but I hope some parents of children might read this and consider getting a couple of guinea pigs for their child which, although rather skittish until tamed do not usually turn into furry savages! ;)

S

Splats pigglies

I totally agree I would always advise for a guinea pig to be a pet for a young child rather than that of a rabbit, we all know how much the kicks canhurt if they catch us wrong :-\

Nat x

M

maxthepig

Nat
I'm sorry if Ive offended you by posting your question on Rabbit Rehome- it was not meant to ridcule you, rather to try and get you some advice from people who are very experienced with rabbits as this forum is obviously about pigs!

I have to say I agree 100% with what Kayjay has said on here. With so many rabbits in rescue there is no justification in my mind to breed- this is not an attack on you, just my opinion on breeding.

In regards to your guinea pig, I do not think the fact he produces beautiful babies is justification enough to continue using him for breeding when there are many many pigs in rescue and he would no doubt really benefit from having a young male guinea pig friend or being neutered and then being bonded with a girl pig (incidentally many vets charge very little for neutering pigs- £30 in some cases).

Anyway, it is up to you, we can only offer our advice and many people probably disagree.
Mandy x

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have another male pig that you can put separated by mesh alongside Eric? I'm still learning about guinea pigs but I have read a lot of people do this, they can't fight but are happy being able to see and squeak at each other. Have you looked at www.barmy4boars.co.uk? I've found this site really useful for boar advice and she gives advice on different options to keeping them together.

I'm trying to promote guinea pigs as alternative pets to rabbits for small children in our village - a lot of the girls want/are getting rabbits and a couple of months down the line all you hear is what a demon their rabbit's become. My son's scared of one of my rabbits (she is a bit feisty ;D) but loves the piggies. I've got one mum coming round to take a look this week as I was telling her how lovely they are, I'm a piggy convert!

Kathryn xx

Status
Not open for further replies.