• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Burgess Excel Tasty Nuggets Changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eek! I just opened a bag up and it has the tiny pellets. The boys seem ok with them so far, but I'll be changing them on Monday as I really don't feel good about the change. Little worried they could choke on them, they're so small!

So are the Mint ones now the same size as the blackcurrant ones? Mine have both without trouble.

I wouldn't dare stop feeding nuggets to the boys - there would be mutiny! They get so excited for them! Lots of popcorning at nugnug time!

Well I had a phone call from Burgess Customer Services Manager today as she's been away on holiday and I confirm the Vetinary Manager has got all the evidence `i submitted about the change in size. I'm guessing the will be enquiring about their manufacturers process and whether it's been changed. I'll keep everyone posted.

Incidentally, I finally received my bag of Bunny Guinea Pig Food, they seem to like it. I'll know when I check in on them again in the morning.

Nice one lil. Well, waylon seems ok on the new tiny pellets but monty wont eat them :( even if u hand feed he looks really interested, tries to bite it then drops it and looks sad :( :( :( my poor darling... Ive ordered some harringtons which i hope will arrive tomorrow.. hope poor M likes it :(

I feed my boys excel, my new bag had the little pellets in, I was wondering if they'd changed the size to match the black currant ones. I've not had any problems so far *touch wood* but now I don't want to give it to them!

Those poor piggies who broke their toothies :(

I haven't seen the new sized "plain" ones in real life but I've got a bag of the old sized and a bag of the blackcurrant ones and the shape of the blackcurrant ones is different from the shape of the new smaller plain ones that pictures of have been posted on here. The plain ones are half moon shapes whereas the blackcurrant ones are straight if that makes sense?

I noticed the size change. Thought nothing of it really. Just thought it had been changed for some reason.
my boys haven't had a problem adjusting and munch away happily...With no broken teeth...that I'm aware of.

So are the Mint ones now the same size as the blackcurrant ones? Mine have both without trouble.

I wouldn't dare stop feeding nuggets to the boys - there would be mutiny! They get so excited for them! Lots of popcorning at nugnug time!

I noticed that the mint ones are small too by feeling the size through the bag, I'm running very low on their pets at home nuggets so had to nip to the local pet shop to see what they had, they only had mint excel in there and as my boys have not had mint yet I didn't want to buy that for the above reasons and incase they did not eat it so Thankfully my friend has kindly offered to fetch a bag of the P&h ones on her way to work I will keep them on those until I can try them on the bunny ones x

A couple of weeks ago i bought 3 bags of this stuff, 2 in the blackcurrent and 1 in the mint. The mint has the tiny pellets but the blackcurrent both had the larger pellets.

Hi,
So Excel have replied to my store and said quote 'we haven't made any permanent changes to the kibble shape and size. I have passed this feedback to our vet and technical manager who will investigate this'
So obviously it's a mistake batch or something so I definitely won't be buying any with the wrong kibble size in! x

Whoa, really? Thats really bizarre and quite worrying. My boys are eating them ok now but ive already got a bag of harringtons in for when we finish the bag. If finances werent tight i would bin the bag of excel, though i will if burgess come back and say they are below standard :(

It must have been a HUGE mistake batch then as nearly all of us who buy burgess excell have got the small nuggets. Lol. I am wondering if as someone suggested earlier the "old" shaped nuggets were made with a different machine/ cutter. And they have replaced this for a new one which is not yet worn. So the pellets are smaller. (Hope that makes sense.)

Lol yeah I'm not sure about the machine cutting thing, they are like half the size :/ I don't like it, I'm sure they are prob fine to feed but I'm going to change to science selective and mix with our shops brand of nuggets which mine seem to like :)

I hadn't realized that the Burgess nuggets had ever been a bigger size as I've only had my 2 guinea pigs for about a month now and the bag I brought is as I've found out from reading this thread the small sized nuggets. But my 2 love them and have had no teeth problems from them, so I think I'll keep feeding them.
It's been interesting to read what everyone has been saying about the nuggets.
If it helps I brought my bag of Burgess mint nuggets over a month ago from a Pets At Home store.

Hi,
So Excel have replied to my store and said quote 'we haven't made any permanent changes to the kibble shape and size. I have passed this feedback to our vet and technical manager who will investigate this'
So obviously it's a mistake batch or something so I definitely won't be buying any with the wrong kibble size in! x
Well that will help the cause, I just want them back to the old size...I've got a flipping huge bag of the stuff that I've held back. I'm expecting more information on Monday.

I will have to keep a close eye on these as my new guinea pig peanut is on the excel mint ones which he seems to love and he also likes the excel complete food cubes blackcurrant and oregano but these cubes he Will only be having one block a week as a treat

I've just had a customer in that noramlly buys Excel and she brought Science Selectice to the till. I asked her why and she said they've gone off Excel. After chatting to her about the change in kibble size she then mentioned she recently realised one of hers had a broken tooth! I want to take the Excel off the shelf now. It's not up to me bit I'm going to chase this up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back