Buying a house - a rant.

Spoink

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I just need to vent, really.
We have been saving for a long, long time for a deposit - now we finally have it and we’re ready to move forward. How on Earth does anybody do it?! I feel like every brick wall and closed door we could bump into - we have.
Viewing properties that look nothing like the photographs - little pollypocket houses that look much bigger in the photographs - viewing properties that everyone is jumping on and not getting a chance.
Every house I have been interested in has been a let down in some way or another, I get too attached to an idea and then have my bubble burst. My heart totally went out of it as I was sick of disappointment.
This morning I was really excited again, finally, by a house I couldn’t wait to view - only to be told they have accepted an offer and won’t be arranging viewings. THE HOUSE WAS ONLY LISTED 2 DAYS AGO, ON FRIDAY.
It doesn’t help that the more we look for houses, the more our flat is frustrating me. We don’t have a garden, our kitchen is open in our livingroom, there aren’t enough windows. I feel like I’m climbing the walls - and that is partly to do with being furloughed due to the c word (Not the naughty C word).
I’m well aware that I’m lucky to have a roof over my head but I feel like I’m also entitled to feel sad sometimes.
There are other things happening in my life right now that I don’t feel like talking about - but it just feels like I have a lot of loose ends and I can’t tie any of them for the life of me, I’m trying.

TL;DR - Finding the house hunting process stressful, it’s getting me down.

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fisheye lenses are a . . . nuisance . . . aren’t they?!
Buying a house is awful. It just is. I had a relatively smooth time of it fortunately and it was still the most stressful thing I’ve ever done!
You have every right to feel frustrated and sad and angry and anything else, even without the other stuff going on too.

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can’t imagine how much of a pain it is going round viewing! We bought new and so were lucky we didn’t have any of the highest bidder wins or anything like that. I will say be prepared for the conveyancing process as it nearly broke me on several occasions it is so frustrating, try to find a good solicitor although I don’t think they ever exist! Good look with your search!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You are completely right to be stressed and frustrated. We had a relatively easy ride as we wasn’t in a chain and it was a new build but buying a house is something I wouldn’t want to do again in a hurry.

I hope you find your dream home soon

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Aww it's awful that you are having a bad run... It's misleading they way some places look so different in real life... I hope you find a nice house very soon! Good luck x

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
It's stressful at the best of times but the fact that fewer houses are getting listed and there are a whole host of people whose searches have been put on hold while the lockdown was on who are eager to get back on it. We found the estate agent who sold my mum's house always gave her a heads up when a house matching what she was looking for was due to be listed. The one she brought she viewed just hours after the listing went live, made an offer as soon as the office opened the following morning and it was accepted within half an hour.

Spoink

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies - and I’m sorry for replying so late. But yesterday I spent the day being heartbroken after our mortgage advisor crumbled our dreams. We weren’t aware that the current state because of covid, has lead to the banks now asking for a minimum of 15% deposit. That is now way way way out of reach for us, so we are out of the runnings. So close. So so close. I’m just devastated, we were there. Argh! So, looks like I was wrong. There were more brick walls for us to hit after all, huh.

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That’s so frustrating! Have you thought about a new build on help to buy? It not only means you pay less deposit but also will get you a better mortgage rate!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I feel your frustration! I’m trying to sell my old Mum’s McCarthy Stone Apartment and that’s very difficult at this present time. The Development Manager won’t allow any viewing since lock down to protect the old folk and yet we are still having to pay £3,000 a year in lease and maintenance 🙄 Plus standing charges on electric!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I have little experience of house buying but just want to offer support at this frustrating time for you.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh no, house buying is very frustrating, with so many hidden costs and so much uncertainty and estate agents and surveyors and banks always moving the goal posts! We found our "dream home" only to find after paying the surveyor £400 that there was a big crack in an exterior wall from a railway tunnel being built nearby that had caused subsidence. So we were £400 out of pocket on a house we fell in love with (well, the garden we fell in love with, the house needed some work) that the bank wouldnt lend a mortgage on in case it fell down! So we compromised and ended up with a nice enough house but no proper garden just to break the renting cycle sucking our money away every month... hope you get sorted soon, I hear the government are thinking of waiving stamp duty later this year which might give you a bit more scope? X