• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage discussion

Just to show you the size of a 2x4 C&C which is bigger than 120cm cage you are leaning towards. I have 1 pig in here (always have them in pairs. Mine are split for the time being but interact through the mesh.)

120cm would roughly be 3 grids in from the right. So the area where the litter box is and the blue green box wouldn't be there so everything after that is the space you'd have. As you can see, that's not a lot of space.

IMG_20201123_190905219.jpg

Also pigs can be quite big! Here's one of mine in the cat litter box. Keep in mind this is the standard size one

IMG_20201123_191126218.jpg

As you can see they can be big...and she hasn't finished growing yet! So imagine there's 2 in there. Not a lot of space to run around. Tbh I think 2x4 grids is a bit small after seeing them run around 😅

EDIT: mines also off the floor. The c&c is on top of another cage and a camping table
IMG_20201123_193048169.jpg

Just to show you the size of a 2x4 C&C which is bigger than 120cm cage you are leaning towards. I have 1 pig in here (always have them in pairs. Mine are split for the time being but interact through the mesh.)

120cm would roughly be 3 grids in from the right. So the area where the litter box is and the blue green box wouldn't be there so everything after that is the space you'd have. As you can see, that's not a lot of space.

View attachment 158721

Also pigs can be quite big! Here's one of mine in the cat litter box. Keep in mind this is the standard size one

View attachment 158722

As you can see they can be big...and she hasn't finished growing yet! So imagine there's 2 in there. Not a lot of space to run around. Tbh I think 2x4 grids is a bit small after seeing them run around 😅

EDIT: mines also off the floor. The c&c is on top of another cage and a camping table
View attachment 158723
Thanks so much! I will be trying to convince my parents a bit more
So it is a 120 cage so yes it meets minimum requirement. I would just bear in mind that due to the slope of the base inside it will be smaller. You won’t get much inside it - as a minimum you need two hides (each piggy needs one hide each), so they won’t have much space to move around when you’ve put the hides in. I would definitely remove that side shelf - it just takes up too much room and as it only has one way in/out it can become a problem area as a piggy can get cornered inside it (and that can be how defensive injuries can occur)

The other thing which I’d be concerned about is it looks like it’s only top opening. Guinea pigs do not like being picked up and definitely don’t like being loomed over, so getting them out of that cage could be quite hard and scary for them. (Unless I have not looked properly and it does side open as well).

being let out the cage daily doesn’t really make much difference though because the cage they are in still needs to be big enough
thank you! I will try to convince my parents for the 140
do they think a 120cm cage is ok though? Is it just a 140 cage they think is too big?
they think the 120cm cage is enough and the 140s pushing it

View attachment 158721

View attachment 158722

View attachment 158723
Thank you! Will speak to my parents about it

The more you give your piggies the more you get out of them my 2 boars have a 3x4 c&c with a 1x3 loft and I would give them more if I could. The minimum requirements are only ever that a bare minimum but bigger is always better and the way it looks doesn't matter to the piggies. Well done for doing your own research I'm sure you'll figure something out.

I replied to your post on another thread. The ferplast 120 is actually coming out at 119 x 58 cm which is below the absolute minimum. When looking at those cages, you have to consider the slope (as mentioned above by Piggies&Buns). Sloping means the base will actually be smaller than the 120 they say it is.

It’s really important you give them at least 120x60, though of course bigger is always better. If they have that kind of space, would you be able to give them floor time every day? It is quite a restrictive space by the time you add the hides and hay area etc.

I hope you can change your parents’ mind.

The more you give your piggies the more you get out of them my 2 boars have a 3x4 c&c with a 1x3 loft and I would give them more if I could. The minimum requirements are only ever that a bare minimum but bigger is always better and the way it looks doesn't matter to the piggies. Well done for doing your own research I'm sure you'll figure something out.
Thanks, my parents still think that the cage is that bit too big so I think a 120x60 cage is the biggest I can go however I will be able to give them daily floor time. I would love to get a way bigger cage however need to respect the fact I'm lucky that my parents are allowing me to get an adequately sized cage.
I replied to your post on another thread. The ferplast 120 is actually coming out at 119 x 58 cm which is below the absolute minimum. When looking at those cages, you have to consider the slope (as mentioned above by Piggies&Buns). Sloping means the base will actually be smaller than the 120 they say it is.

It’s really important you give them at least 120x60, though of course bigger is always better. If they have that kind of space, would you be able to give them floor time every day? It is quite a restrictive space by the time you add the hides and hay area etc.

I hope you can change your parents’ mind.

So after discussing with my parents, they said that I can give them daily floor time which makes me feel a little bit better about the cage. They still said 'no' but I need to accept the fact they're letting me get them in an alright sized cage. I have found great looking hides that have the whole front missing that goes in the corner and then a table like hidey with an entrance at each side. This will enable for my to have more room in the cage. I'm sure I can find a way to make it work and give them a space to roam around in it. If not, I'm sure my parents will say it looks cramped - they just can't visualise how it will look at the moment. Thank you for the suggestions

It’s Exotic Direct. I would start putting money aside in a vet fund for use rather than the insurance. As Piggies&Buns said, you’ll have to read the small print.

It’s Exotic Direct. I would start putting money aside in a vet fund for use rather than the insurance. As Piggies&Buns said, you’ll have to read the small print.
Thanks

I completely agree with siikibam. Insurance has its limitations, excesses would still need to be paid etc.
i have a vet fund and not insurance as the money is there in my account when I need it And I don’t have to make claims, pay excesses or worry that the insurance won’t pay out. I can pay for any treatment, routine or emergency without worrying.

Back