Calcium for snails

LunaOreoPigz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I am aware you need a calcium source for snails to make theyre shells strong and healthy but I'm wondering what source of calcium i should use? I am getting a baby giant african land snail soon and as it is so small i dont want to lose her in her bigger enclosure ive already bought. Instead, I'm going to keep her in a smaller pot until shes big enough that i dont worry I'm going to lose her. The problem is, a cuttlebone wouldnt fit into the enclosure so i was wondering what other source of calcium i could use. Thanks!

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Could you not break a piece off the ctitle bone to fit in the smaller enclosure? Other than that I have never had a snail So I have no idea!

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Why will it not type cuttlebone? Oh it does now - stupid autocorrect!

LunaOreoPigz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could you not break a piece off the ctitle bone to fit in the smaller enclosure? Other than that I have never had a snail So I have no idea!
I was thinking that however i have no idea how strong cuttlebone is so i dont know if I'll be able to break a bit off

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How many? I am only getting one snail and shes tiny at the moment so if i do use it i will use one but what about when shes fully grown ?
If she's tiny then one tablet 2 or 3 times a week would be fine- they go a bit soggy so its a fresh tablet then. If you only have 1 tiny snail then the large pack of 250 tablets might last a year! But I think they do a smaller pack of 60 tablets too :)
I get my uni to buy 4 jars of 250 calcium tablets in bulk because I have 9 big giant snails at home and often about 90 extra large " gros gris escargot" variety garden snails in my laboratory at work!

LunaOreoPigz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello @PigglePuggle this unrelated but i have a question? So, the person giving me the snail said that i should use pete free soil but now i found out that the soil i have has tiny light brown spheres so I'm confused. What soil should i use for the snail?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I usually avoid garden type soil as it might contain fertilisers or pesticides, I buy blocks of coir coconut fibre reptile substrate, which you then rehydrate by adding water:
20200726_180941.jpg
This is ZooMed brand EcoEarth, ExoTerra brand Plantation Soil is suitable too. Each block makes a bucketful of soil so I have a big plastic storage box to keep it in once hydrated :)