• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Callis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
... or cally as I'm calling him lately has his head tilted to the side, I think it's been like that since we bought him. Is it a sign of an inner ear infection, only Leo in my group of pigs had that and he had other symptons, Cally has balance, does seem a bit simple sometimes lol but runs fine (not drunk) and is alert, happy, eating, pooping, weeking, drinking.

I've booked a vets appointment for friday anyways. Could it be anything else? He's around 5/6 months old I think, whenever pets at home let them go and then an extra 3/4 months on top.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
I'm not too worried, he hasn't shown it to inpair him in anyway, wonder if it's just another mistreated animal from pets at home tbh, both my first lot (africa and leo) seem to have a shorter life and also when I had them, had fungal infections, missing hair and such... they aren't really bad for a store but I'm deffo only getting rescure pigs from now on.

Wiebke

Staff member
Most likely, a permanent head tilt can be the sign of a previous or ongoing bad ear infection. It can also indicate a stroke at one point.

Maud

Aww poor little piggies... I must admit I have bought 3 of my girls from our local petshop and they are well looked after, in a nice sized cage too, with fresh hay etc, and the petshop owner knows what she is talking about, always asks questions, and is there if advice is needed etc... my other 3 girlies I got from a breeder, and my boys I got from my friend who unfortunately couldn't look after them anymore so I gave them a new home.
The more I read about p@h the more I don't like that place lol x

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Even at his age? He definatly hasn't had anything happen to him whilst he's been with me, I check on them almost hourly. >< I am pretty much thinking about inner ear infection, maybe a past one but never the less he'll be checked up on.

Ear mites can also cause head tilt .....Grommie had them and the first vet missed them on examination. He developed head tilt which disappeared when the second vet who did find them gave ivermectin injections.
Beechie also had ear mites but didn;t develop head tilt....however he did have his ears syringed by the vet while under GA for something else as they were so full of gunk :)>>>

Ginger has developed a slight head tilt recently- vet can find no infection or mites and the only thing we can think is it was possible previous trauma when his pet carrier was knocked over with him in it by a rather agressive (and cunning) Jack Russell. Ginger is unafffected and still popcorns around like crazy when he gets his veggies.

If the ears are full of gunk, get the vet to check carefully for mites and perhaps consider giving ivermectin injections anyway to be sure if Callis has not been treated for mites recently. They can also prescribe ear drops to get rid of the gunk....Beechie was given Virbac Epi-otic (it's NOT anti-parasitic - it;s just meant to loosen the wax) but I know others on here have used otodex which the maufacturers say does kill mites

HTH -and the problem can be sorted.
x

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Thank you, I've given him mite treatment myself due to Kenya getting what I think is mites (his cage mate). So the vet won't give him a second dose on top of mine (as it's been 2 days) heh. I'll mention all those if he doesn't bother looking but he seems a capable guineapig vet finally! :D

Just for info.......According to my vet, topical treatments (e.g. spot on, Xeno450) are unlikely to penetrate far enough to get rid of ear mites totally in view of their location and the amount of ear gunk normally associated with them....hence an injectable combined with ear cleaner to dissolve the associated wax ......

x

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
I've noticed his head is less tilted today, he hates the medicine, I've never had such a laugh in my life, when I pop a drop in his mouth, he screws his face up like a baby then does this wiping his face motion with his paws!

Status
Not open for further replies.