Can anyone tell me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blondecat

I'm sure lots of you can tell me! My Scruffy is a long haired piggy and I've necer trimmed her hair. I wondered if it might be a good idea and also how you do it - do you just cut away? She has a matted clump at her rear end even though I groom her regularly - should I cut this out? Also her nails seem a little sharp and I wondered if I should cut them. I'm sorry if it sounds like I've neglected her - I haven't, I'm just not very up on piggy care and am learning as I go along! :-[
 
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Glasgow
I think your supposed to cut their nails about ever 6 weeks or so not sure about how to cut her hair tho
 
B

Beaney

I don't think it sounds like you have neglected her! I have 2 long haired guinea pigs and they are often subjected to my hairdressing skills.....! Mine are peruvians and their hair grows approx 1 inch per month so not cutting it is not an option.

I comb them every other day but every couple of weeks I cut their hair. I keep the hair around their back ends rather short - as this is where they seem most prone to matting (as you have found) and also most likely to be soiled. Cutting is not that difficult but you do need to be careful as they can get jumpy and you obviously don't want to catch them with the scissors. You may want to get someone else to hold so you can cut. I tend to 'layer' the hair so I lift the top layer of hair up and cut what is underneath first. I put my fingers between the piggy and the scissors and just cut away. I then let the top fall back over (so they still look pretty ;)) and just trim the ends so it isn't dragging on the floor. It gives them a bit of a 'rag top' look ;D

If the mat that you have found can not be combed out then I would cut it out. In regards to nails - if they are only sharp and not too long then you can just file them (very carefully using a nail file) but making sure you don't go to short. If they actually need clipping then nail clippers work well - again making sure not to go to short (if you cut the quick then it will bleed - a lot). I took my first piggy to my vet for her nails to be done so my vet could show me and then I would know what to do in the future. This is always an option if you are nervous the first time!
 

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
215
Reaction score
3
Points
205
You need to trim the nails regularly and can buy special animal clippers. to trim her hair, put her on your knee, on a towel. Feed her some of her favourite food so as to distract her. Then clip away! You may need someone to hold her while doing this. You are best to use round edge scissors, just in case she makes a sudden move. it is okay to remove the matted hair, but don't get too close to the skin. Have fun! ;D
 

Carol C

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi
I just tend to trim the back end by putting my finger around their back end taking my finger to the floor and then cutting of the bit that curls up or drags on the floor.
Hope this helps
Carol C
 
B

blondecat

Oh dear! I'm going to give it all a go tomorrow! Wish me luck! Thank you for the advice everyone ;) I'll let you know how it goes!
 
H

hairdi

;D Too make you laugh.......I`m a hairdresser and although I`m very good at hitting a moving target, its still a hit and miss affair with my boys hair dos ! ;D But I have to get it right in the end and make it neat and tidy, just me being fussy. As everyone has said you choose how you want to do it, long on top, short underneath or short all over, whatever it looks like in the end it will grow back !
 
B

Beaney

hairdi said:
;D Too make you laugh.......I`m a hairdresser and although I`m very good at hitting a moving target, its still a hit and miss affair with my boys hair dos ! ;D But I have to get it right in the end and make it neat and tidy, just me being fussy. As everyone has said you choose how you want to do it, long on top, short underneath or short all over, whatever it looks like in the end it will grow back !

I am not a hairdresser. My first attempt..... Oh Dear :o Poor Tia looked like a pom pom. I kept trying to get it straight and it got shorter and shorter...

I am getting better though - they both had hair cuts this morning and both look gorgeous - if I do say so myself!
 
B

blondecat

Oh that made me laugh! I'll post my recent piccies later and then I'll post an after shot! I was thinking of giving her a bath but then I read that piggies should only be given baths in an emergency? I thought it would be normal to give them a bath now and then or should it only be if they're dirty? Scruffy's long fur at the back is looking a bit stained but it will be trimmed off tomorrow
 
B

Beaney

blondecat said:
Oh that made me laugh! I'll post my recent piccies later and then I'll post an after shot! I was thinking of giving her a bath but then I read that piggies should only be given baths in an emergency? I thought it would be normal to give them a bath now and then or should it only be if they're dirty? Scruffy's long fur at the back is looking a bit stained but it will be trimmed off tomorrow

Can't wait to see the piccies - just remember - HAIR GROWS! ;D

Bathing - Opinions differ wildly on this. I bath mine every 10-12 weeks as routine using shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas. It keeps them lovely and clean and their hair in excellent condition - they smell pretty nice too ;)
The only thing to bear in mind with bathing is that piggies do not do well in damp conditions so if they are kept outside, you will have to bring them in until they are completely dry.
 
B

blondecat

Oh I would do, definately! They spend most of the day indoors in their playpen as I'm out of work at the minute! (Scruffy seems to enjoy the Jeremy Kyle Show, actually! Is that guinea pig abuse?!)
 
B

Beaney

blondecat said:
Oh I would do, definately! They spend most of the day indoors in their playpen as I'm out of work at the minute! (Scruffy seems to enjoy the Jeremy Kyle Show, actually! Is that guinea pig abuse?!)

I consider it child abuse (well, 'grown up' child abuse) if my Mum makes me watch it.... but if the piggies like it - hey, go with what works! ;D
 
K

KatsCavies

I used to have a peruvian boar who had a naturally greasy coat. It was horrible and felt tacky so I used to chop the lot off and just leave him with about a cm of hair all over ;D

Kat
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top