• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can Guinea Pigs Catch Things From Humans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalLover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So i have bacterial tonsilitis, do i have to stay away from them? Like even to feed them or should i get someone else to do it?

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As a general rule, piggies can't really catch anything from humans, with the exception of ringworm. Make sure you follow good hygiene rules (hand washing) and you should be fine.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Transmission of human viruses and bacterial illnesses is very rare, but we still recommend to please use good commonsense and hygiene (hand washing before and after) and refrain from handling your guinea pigs unnecessarily while you are ill, especially with respiratory or digestive bugs.

The one thing that can affect all mammals (i.e. other pets and humans) and is highly transmissive is ringworm, a fungal complaint.

AnimalLover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Transmission of human viruses and bacterial illnesses is very rare, but we still recommend to please use good commonsense and hygiene (hand washing before and after) and refrain from handling your guinea pigs unnecessarily while you are ill, especially with respiratory or digestive bugs.

The one thing that can affect all mammals (i.e. other pets and humans) and is highly transmissive is ringworm, a fungal complaint.
Also say if my cat had fleas (which he does not anymore) could that pass onto my guinea pigs?

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I always avoid handling my piggies when I have a heavy cold, but I am unsure if it is necessary to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.