Can pairs of boars mix at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya,

currently we have Fitz and Roy, but we're considering having another pair of boars, probably younger (I have offered a home to two locally if needed but also have seen a lovely pair on a rescue website who I think are about 12 weeks or so) I only want boars as don't want them to get frustrated at the smell of sows, however I was wondering what the general "rules" on free time etc were, they'll be in separate cages, one pair below the kitchen counter and the other above, however I have my boys out a fair bit of the time, either free range in the kitchen or in their indoor pen, and am just wondering if it's possible to have two pairs of boars out at the same time free range without problems or whether I would need to get a second indoor run/rotate their time etc

Obviously this is all theoretical and post quarantine etc, am just trying to work out the practicalities and what I might need etc.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In general I would have to say that trying to mix two pairs of boars is not a good idea - the mix of 4 personalities is a very tricky one in boars and it is very likely to badly wrong. It is quite possible that the relationship between the pairs would also be affected and you end up with 4 single males.

I have plenty of pairs living in proximity to each other but I would say stacking the cages works better rather than side by side as this can cause a lot of stress. My boys take turns in the play area and I normally use the toys/tunnels from their own cages so as not to wind them up with the scent from the other boys.

Hope this helps

Suzy x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
While it is not impossible to achieve, the chances are that you are very likely to end up with fights, severe bullying and fallouts the more boars you have in the mix. Things rarely make it past stroppy months when the big hormones hit. Most of the times, you will end up with a couple of boars and two singles, but in the worst case, you can end up with four boars not getting on wth any of the others.

A couple is the most stable of boar pairings - unless you have OODLES of space to keep a whole herd of bachelors which seems to work again; but because of the space requirement (minimum 1 square metre per boar), it is very rare.

It would be better if the boars could not see each other unless they are used to living right next to other boars and there is not much stiff across the bars. If there is, I would put a divider in between cages that keeps the boars from seeing each other or stack the cages on top of each other.

You'd better rotate the boars at run time and have a divider on the lawn. Each time boars meet, they will start the dominance thing.

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks ladies, I was guessing that might be the case, my current cage is under the kitchen counter (on a stand) and a second cage will be above on top of the counter, I've no desire to mix them in cages etc, it was the free range/pen time I was concerned about, but I can easily set up two runs in different rooms so they can't see each other, I often set up the indoor pen in the kitchen/diner area and was wondering if I could let the other pair free range in the area at the same time, but sounds like this may aggravate things as the pen has bar dividers so they'd be able to come right up to another.

What I'll do (if we do end up with another pair) is get a second pen so they can play in different rooms during the day and not aggravate each other.

Whilst we would manage if they all fell out (I have got two spare cages that are 100cm each and would do for a single short term) I want to do all I can to make sure things go as smoothly as possible with my boys, girls seem much easier- but then there's so many boys wanting homes that I'd rather have boys I guess.

Wiekbe- I could easily have that amount of space if I sold all my OH's junk and the kids old toys and converted our remaining spare room into a boar play area- I wonder if he'd notice!

Status
Not open for further replies.