• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

can piggies chew on twigs off apple trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsjlmb

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my neighbour has an apple tree and pear tree and i wondered if piggies can have the twigs/branches to knaw on. you can buy willow in the shops for them but wasn't sure about these. any advice would be appreciated?/

I have heard lots of people say they give thier piggies apple tree branches and they are very popular apparently, i have not tried mine on them as sadly i dont have any apple tree's.

However i am not sure if there are certain apple tree's you can and cant give, so hopefully someone else may be able to confirm for sure either way.

Yes, they can eat all varieties of apple and pear. They can also eat (unsprayed) apple and pear tree leaves as an occasional special treat, but those are quite high in calcium and should never be more than that!

No part of stone fruit and stone fruit trees should be given.

Last edited:
They can have apple twigs/small branches to chew on the wood, I am not sure about the leaves, personally I would remove those first. I don't know about pear trees either rolleyes

If you make sure that the tree has not been sprayed first with any pesticides, as they are a big no-no, then check the branch has no sign of moss or lichen growing on it (the green stuff) ie pick really healthy looking branches or twigs then scrub them with a small scrubbing/nail brush first, probably wash it as well in case any birds have been sitting on it (or worse lol) & make sure you supervise the pigs when eating them in case there are any sharp bits after they've been nibbled on rolleyes

Yes, they can eat all varieties of apple and pear. They can also eat (unsprayed) apple and pear tree leaves as an occasional special treat, but those are quite high in calcium and should never be more than that!

No part of stone fruit and stone fruit trees should be given.

There you go, Wiebke knows rolleyes she's like a piggy clairvoyant lol :))

thanks that's great. i thought they could but wanted to be sure. i know cherry trees are poisonous as my uncle had to have his removed due to it being in the way for his rabbits. :)

wiebke do you know if this applies to lemon tree twigs and leaves too? I have a tree in my garden and it would be great if they could have that as a treat sometimes?

does anyone know a list of trees that twigs could be taken from. it would be a great help. buying the ones in the pet shops can work out expensive when you have everything else to buy too.

wiebke do you know if this applies to lemon tree twigs and leaves too? I have a tree in my garden and it would be great if they could have that as a treat sometimes?

I have never heard of them being mentioned as suitable for guinea pigs, so I would rather not feed them.

apple leaves are fine to feed to pigs, mine get through large amounts in the summer

My next door neighbour gives me a load of branches from his apple tree every few months - he researched it all before hand and checked they were safe to give the pigglies - maybe a secret piggy lover!

Mine get branches and twigs of apple trees and willow trees. They love chewing them and it is a great boredom breaker. These branches/twigs are from my father in law's garden and untreated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back