• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Can vets prescribe painkillers to hamsters?

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My daughter has a dwarf hamster, Eevee, who is in her golden years (months?) She is probably about 18 months old and, in the past couple of months, has started showing her age. She is still very active, but is developing cataracts, is on a diabetic diet now, and recently has a more unsteady gait and a bit of a hunch when she walks. I suspect she has arthritis. Has anyone's vet ever prescribed metacam or other painkillers for an animal this small? I mean, she's a dwarf, she's only a few ounces. Although I suspect we probably won't have her that much longer, given her age and general decline, I really hate to think of her being uncomfortable. :(

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know you can with gerbils, so maybe? Try giving a receptionist a call, or see if you can find a hamster forum.( not saying dont ask here lol)

Look up glucosamine for hamsters too, this help arthiritis, dont know if hamsters can take it, but worth looking up.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, vets can prescribe pain meds for hamsters.
But most important is to have her checked out properly.
If she really is old and has multiple health problems then pain killers may offer her some comfort.
She has clearly had a lovely life with your daughter, so hopefully a vet can help keep her comfortable for a little longer.

Metacam is one of the few medications reccomended for use in hamsters, and becasue of their small size sub cutaneous injections are often easier and more effective than oral dosage.
But your vet will be the best person to advise on that.