• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can You Guess People's Ages By The Way They Write (question mark)

Accurately - not a hope! That said...

Sometimes people give you big clues in their content (if someone's situation is that they rely on their parents to cover vet bills it would indicate they're still young enough to be dependent to some degree).

Also there are styles of speech that are more common in different age groups so that can give some indication - but it will always be based on stereotype based assumptions. I'm aware I do it (I think every human does to some degree). I try to be aware of it when I do and think about why I've formed that opinion.

In England handwriting letter formation styles in schools used to be taught more or less blanketly. Most people in my mother's and grandmother's generation's seem to have had very similar letter styles, I can spot the age group from the writing. By my generation (60s) handwriting seems to be more random, the style not only influenced by the region or school you went to but also the individual teacher and pupil. I think by this time not so much emphasis was placed on letter formation but whether the hand was at least legible. My children have very different handwriting although they all went to the same schools, my youngest has taught herself to write in the old fashioned and attractive letter forming style like my mothers.
Grammar and spelling ability is very individual!

I was taught to write in italic script at school. I was useless at it as my handwriting wanted to go more curvy than straight lines!

I don't write in cursive, but I can only write k and z using cursive letters lol. They were the only two I couldn't switch back to print.

Because of all the changes and experiments in education I was not taught to do joined up writing so my style is very random. Better than my poor sister though, who was taught ITA spelling in infants and was never then taught to spell properly. She has struggled with spelling all her life.

My writing tends to get more spidey as the day wears on and l start to get tired and start to shake.

Because of all the changes and experiments in education I was not taught to do joined up writing so my style is very random. Better than my poor sister though, who was taught ITA spelling in infants and was never then taught to spell properly. She has struggled with spelling all her life.

When I was in primary school we were told we were taught the "proper way" to do joint writing. It's a load of bull, really. Not even cursive, we were literally supposed to join up normal z's etc. We had this girl, she'd left our primary school early on in P5 (P...4? in England) and came back at the start of P6, and she'd been taught it at another school. My teacher kept going on about how she had to stop joining up letters like J/j etc because "it wasn't the proper way to do things".

He was a moron, though, he had worse handwriting than 95% of us.

Oh, and the only pens we were allowed to use were blue ink ones. I still get queasy when I have to use one for more than a short note, lol.

Spelling is the one thing I am good at! My Dad insisted on it. If I didn't get 40/40 in spelling tests he would want to know why! He made me write out any incorrectly spelt words 50 times each I can still spell conscientiousness!

That brings back horrific memories. When we were in P6 and P7 we had spelling tests, but we weren't given the word to spell, oh no. We were given the meaning of the word, and we had to memorise what the words meant and learn to spell them. I could spell just fine but could I remember the words like that? Oh hell no. Luckily I always sat beside someone who was doing the same words set as I was and they'd let me see what they'd wrote. If the spelling they had was wrong I'd then give them the correct spelling, lol.

I write in cursive because thats what they taught me in school so its just stuck. My mother can do calligraphy though, and its very pretty

Back