• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Candle Lighting Ceremony For Peter Gurney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hello Everypig and Human!

Each year on the anniversary of Peter Gurney's birthday 9th March, a candle/s are lit across the world to remember him by. He passed away 2nd July 2006.

I have been asked by GPDD (guinea pig daily digest) to get all on board to light a candle in memory of Peter, our human family/friends, all fur babies, finned, scaled and feathered darlings who've departed to the Rainbow Bridge.

At 8pm on the 9th March please light a candle, feel free to take a pigture too!

Please write your name, county/state/province/area and Country so a list can be compiled and then a Map showing how the Rainbow Bridge candle lighting goes across the whole world. Of course this is anonymous. Only your first name will be used, BUT if you prefer not to I will omit your name but just put your country details.

Thank you all ................. and a huge thanks to the Admin :)
Glynis x

Peter Gurney was key in putting guinea pigs and proper guinea pig care on the map at a time when rodents featured just one afternoon in a several years long vet course! Until a few years ago, he was pretty much the only source of information on guinea pig care and health; he is getting a bit forgotten these days as medical knowledge and care have jumped ahead so much in the last very few years.

We still owe this super piggy slave a huge debt!

Peter Gurney was key in putting guinea pigs and proper guinea pig care on the map at a time when rodents featured just one afternoon in a several years long vet course! Until a few years ago, he was pretty much the only source of information on guinea pig care and health; he is getting a bit forgotten these days as medical knowledge and care have jumped ahead so much in the last very few years.

^^^ This!

Modern veterinary medicine products (and knowledgeable cavy vets) have replaced the necessity for desperate owners to have to self-medicate their pigs with over-the-counter human meds, (which is mostly against the law and caused a lot of friction with vets in Peter's day),

Nevertheless - his pioneering knowledge/wisdom on the underlying principles of guinea pig health/medical conditions and what type of medications they may require has left a permanent legacy that deserves respect from cavy owners and vets alike.
I still discuss Peter's original recommendations/thoughts with my own vets as an addition to any currently-available vet treatment.

If ever there should be a patron saint of guinea pigs...... then it is Peter.

So I shall be lighting a candle in memory and honour of Mr Peter Gurney as I do every year - please add me to the list.
- Pebble in East Sussex UK.

Will definitely be doing this. Peter was a legend in the Guinea Pig world and the welfare of piggies owe so much to his work.

From what I have read about him he cared a lot about the welfare of guinea pigs and often challenged veterinary attitudes and some of their treatment of guinea pigs at the time. I will light a candle in his memory. Val of York

I had a copy of Piggy Potions years ago when vets were not really interested in guinea pigs, and found it invaluable. I'm certain that the advice that I read in of his books helped to save the life of one of my piggies who had a stroke. We all owe a lot to this man.
Cassandra in Nottingham

My Lulu would probably have been pts if I had not read Piggy Potions and successfully treated her paralysis. Please add my name - Jo, Hartlepool, UK.

I have read several of Peter's guinea pig care books, all excellent.

Joy, Essex, UK.

Bump :yahoo:

Today is the day!
Don't forget 8pm your time light a candle. I will be lighting mine for Sully Duke Velvet Onyx and Tommy our budgie. Also for my mum dad Nan and Grandpa.

:cake:

Glynis xxxxxxx

I have already lit my candles tonight - for an amazing man who stood up and challenged the veterinary and breeding fraternities and said that guinea pigs deserve better treatment than just having baytril thrown at them.

Popcorn free with all the piggies you have helped Uncle Peter.

We will ensure your legacy lives on in perpetuity amongst us slaves.
x

"IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER GURNEY"
Forefather of guinea pig health.​

We have much to thank you for and may your memory and contribtion always be respected and live on
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back