Careers; its all too confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

We had our vocational lecture today and i did a personality thingy and it said i would be good at nursing midwifery and teaching which didnt help becasue thats what i knew i wanted to do i cant decide but i have narrowed it down, i do not want to be a midwife! with teaching i want to teach children with special needs, and with nursing its neo natal (speacial care babies) or learning disabilty. i need careers advise but nothing makes sense and i have to apply for uni in september! my mum said I'm fab with children who have special needs but its because ive been brought up with them! all my choices revolve around disabled children so thats my path any ideas I'm stuck and its all as clear as mud! x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
LOL - what a mess! ;D

I'm sure you'll work out what you want soon. Good luck!

cashmincal

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At least you know where you want to go in life roughly, unlike some, aka, Clare, aka me!

But best of luck in whatever you choose and take care!

Clare xx

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't talk about midwifery but teaching I do know about! And working with SEN children - I've done it on and off since I was 16 and currently teach a class with nearly 80% of children who are on the SEN register for a whole range of problems.

If you want to do any sort of teaching you will have to have your maths GCSE Verity. I don't want to sound nasty but it is absolutely essential to have English Lang, Maths and at least 5 other National Curriculum subjects at C grade or higher to even be considered for a teacher training course and most places ask for a lot more than that. I think its right for them to do it too as you do need a really good basic education and good standards of spelling, punctuation etc to be able to cope with the demands of the curriculum. I have 10 GCSE's, 4 A levels and an honours degree from the third best uni in the UK and it still took me 2 years to get a place to do my PGCE. Lots of work experience is also essential - I had worked in schools and colleges with SEN kids full time for 2 years and done playschemes every year for 5 years when I was applying to uni but that still wasn't enough.

Also - teaching is incredibly hard work! I love my job but I think I had underestimated the demands of it. I leave the house at 7 every day, am lucky if I'm home by 6 at night and have a couple of hours to do at home most nights. We do get a lot of holidays but then I am in school at least 2 days most holidays and do work at home for a couple more each week. I spend a fortune of my own money on stuff for school as there are never any resources for anything and I refuse to let the kids miss out because of lack of funding.

I could go on for hours about this but I shall leave it here for now.

*climbs down from high horse and slopes away!*

G

gothchick1515

I have 6 Bs 3Cs and the maths at a D in GCSE level, i loved the school i did my placement in and we have compulsary work experience. Every uni wants maths so i have no choice but to get it really even though my maths is awful :'( it looks like its nursing for me because some course only need a AON (application of number) and that i am doing at the moment and was 2 marks off a pass! I'm so confused and there is so much pressure lol

M

Michele

Verity dont worry if you get it wrong. You need to take a deep breath and chill. The post that Kate put is very good. Verity when I was 16 I decided to become a travel agent which i did for 12 years and became a manager in the end. I'm now 33 and again I'm at a crossroads in my life. I'm like you the moment not sure where to turn and dont know which road to take. Do what you feel you would really really like to do. It doesnt have to be for life.

Really wish I knew what I should do. Decisions decisions. Just wish the answer was so simple.

G

gothchick1515

Lol my lecturers constantly go on that I need to know! which stresses me out because everyone else seems to know!

M

Michele

You dont need to know. Alot of people are in your situation. you thought about doing a gap year to htink about things?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just remembered that you have to take 3 tests as part of teacher training now - English, Maths and ICT. i think the trauma of doing them had made me block them out! The maths one was lots of mental maths questions with only a few seconds to answer and I found it really tough. The ICT was ok - lots of stuff about making publications and using software and the English was focused on spelling, grammar, punctuation and comprehension. Lots of people took several goes to get the English and the Maths.

If you don't pass them you don't get QTS at the end of your course and so are not able to teach!

G

gothchick1515

Ok scratch the teaching lol! thats too hard no thank you ill leave that to the smart people like you!

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck with the decision making but remember that more and more people are choosing to change careers at some point in their lives....so even if you start off down one track you can always re-train to go down another career path later on. I still haven't settled into a career as such and I'm 26 - I did a degree in journalism, decided I didn't want to be a journalist...am now nearing the end of a psychology post grad but am still not entirely sure what I want to do. Have just been accepted for a job as a psychiatric nursing assistant and am seriously thinking about doing the mental health nurse training (hmmm should really start work instead of being a perpetual student) haha!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide

Alex x

Status
Not open for further replies.