• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Caring for boars, queries

Abbie Brooks

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to adopt a companion for Acorn - originally I was looking for a female, they have offered a three legged neutered male. My only concern with males is if they require extra care in the genital department - I’ve read the section about care for boats and I think I could cope but for all owners with boars do they run into a lot of issues? I would love to give him a home since he is the only one with no interest shown and he is so gorgeous! - (providing him and acorn get on)

3 legged piggy, sorry I'm not laughing. How about trying Acorn & the new one together, if it doesn't go well. You could always get there plums removed & then get a wifey for each of them.
Eiether way it would be lovely if you could see your way to adopt this little fella
Every piggy should be loved, especially special ones like this one.

Some boars do, some boars don't. But it's the same with sows, in a way - the older a pig gets, the more likely something won't be quite right. I would give the little fella a try, and I hope it works out for you.

I have a neutered male with my females. My first one was Peter who lived to be 7 and apart from a few fatty lumps (harmless) and a sebeacous cyst (in his later years so we decided not to operate to remove) he was very healthy with minimal vets visits. Donald on the other hand has cost me a fortune in the year since I've had him. Fatty lump and abscess removal followed by an outbreak of ringworm and then UTI. None of which is caused by him being male, just bad luck.
One thing to be certain of is how long ago the male was neutered. The rescue I got Donald from was rehoming 4 weeks post neuter as their vet said they were safe, I refused this and said I would take him at 6 weeks if no one has taken him in the meantime. It's not worth risking acorns health over so you need to be sure he can't still be active

I have four boars in two pairs and don’t have a lot of problems. One (who is about 3 1/2 ) gets impacted but I manage that daily, it’s smelly but relatively easy to deal with if you read up on it. The other three are 1 1/2 and 11 months so no problems there. Previous boars I never had a problem with. Boar glue is the worse thing with boars - it’s all over their fleece bedding and pads! I’d give him a go - he deserves a good life by the sound of it!:nod:

3 legged piggy, sorry I'm not laughing. How about trying Acorn & the new one together, if it doesn't go well. You could always get there plums removed & then get a wifey for each of them.
Eiether way it would be lovely if you could see your way to adopt this little fella
Every piggy should be loved, especially special ones like this one.
Well the fact he has eight legs makes me want to adopt him more - Acorn is a female so I have never looked after a boar before, I had a pair of them when I was younger but my parents mainly looked after them. The boar is neutered already since the rescue do that for us. I was just wondering what the care is like for boars and how often they can run into problems.

Some boars do, some boars don't. But it's the same with sows, in a way - the older a pig gets, the more likely something won't be quite right. I would give the little fella a try, and I hope it works out for you.
That’s what I was thinking, I mean he has to get on with Acorn first but he looks quite sweet and the description says he’s lovely

I have a neutered male with my females. My first one was Peter who lived to be 7 and apart from a few fatty lumps (harmless) and a sebeacous cyst (in his later years so we decided not to operate to remove) he was very healthy with minimal vets visits. Donald on the other hand has cost me a fortune in the year since I've had him. Fatty lump and abscess removal followed by an outbreak of ringworm and then UTI. None of which is caused by him being male, just bad luck.
One thing to be certain of is how long ago the male was neutered. The rescue I got Donald from was rehoming 4 weeks post neuter as their vet said they were safe, I refused this and said I would take him at 6 weeks if no one has taken him in the meantime. It's not worth risking acorns health over so you need to be sure he can't still be active
Yes that’s one of my questions to the rescue when I respond to their offer, it could be that he was neutered before he came to the rescue but i am definitely going to check. Thanks for the info - my main concern was that he might run into more issues.

I have four boars in two pairs and don’t have a lot of problems. One (who is about 3 1/2 ) gets impacted but I manage that daily, it’s smelly but relatively easy to deal with if you read up on it. The other three are 1 1/2 and 11 months so no problems there. Previous boars I never had a problem with. Boar glue is the worse thing with boars - it’s all over their fleece bedding and pads! I’d give him a go - he deserves a good life by the sound of it!:nod:
Does boar glue happen in neutered boars - I am dying to give him a home I think it would be amazing. And definitely a new experience since I’ve never seen a three legged guinea pig.

Well the fact he has eight legs makes me want to adopt him more - Acorn is a female so I have never looked after a boar before, I had a pair of them when I was younger but my parents mainly looked after them. The boar is neutered already since the rescue do that for us. I was just wondering what the care is like for boars and how often they can run into problems.
Meant to say three legs hahahah

I have 5 boars and have never had any issues, nor any boar glue. I think it's just your luck how healthy a piggy is, and how rampant lol

Until recently I only had boars, and didn't really have any problems with impaction, or with boar glue (even with my current boar, who was very dominant with his boar companion, always humping him). I've read also that neutered boars are a bit less likely to suffer impaction; they can still produce boar glue if so inclined though (it's just that as my husband would say, they are 'firing blanks').
I also had a three legged boar, he managed perfectly well after he had to have the other one amputated. It would be lovely if you were able to give this boy a new home with your sow :love:

I never saw boar glue til I put them on fleece - maybe I should go back to paper bedding and then I won’t have to see it any more! It doesn’t bother me really, I love my boys and they get pampered to bits! I hope you decide to take the three legged boy, he deserves a good home.

I never saw boar glue til I put them on fleece - maybe I should go back to paper bedding and then I won’t have to see it any more! It doesn’t bother me really, I love my boys and they get pampered to bits! I hope you decide to take the three legged boy, he deserves a good home.
We’ve enquired and are waiting to arrange a date to take acorn along and use their mixing service.

Until recently I only had boars, and didn't really have any problems with impaction, or with boar glue (even with my current boar, who was very dominant with his boar companion, always humping him). I've read also that neutered boars are a bit less likely to suffer impaction; they can still produce boar glue if so inclined though (it's just that as my husband would say, they are 'firing blanks').
I also had a three legged boar, he managed perfectly well after he had to have the other one amputated. It would be lovely if you were able to give this boy a new home with your sow :love:
I’ve read that too, I didn’t know if they still produced boar glue though. We have reserved the male and are waiting to arrange a date from him and Acorn to mix to see if they get along

Until I saw him I’d never seen a three legged guinea pig, he only had it amputated six weeks ago but he gets around fine

Thanks for all the advice and experience. I decided to go ahead and arrange a mixing service for him and Acorn. This forum has been so helpful since I joined.

Back