• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Casper has been bitten by his bro again.

D

DMS260820

The gerbild have had a serious scrap again, casper has been bitten and blood has been drawn on the neck and tail. But this time Casper has had a go back and drawn blood on Shadows lip. So that two gerbil for the vet tomorrow, and I'm thinking about splitting them up.

I have Abbis old cage i can next door neighbour Casper and Shadow. Best i can do really.

May need your help @Claire W and anyone else experienced with gerbils.

I am now trying 2 food bowls and 2 water bottles and two hideys, to see if this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry that they have fallen out again :( I would try the two water bottles and bowls. We never split our two up as they were part of a group and were fine together most of the time and only had a couple of scraps but if it carries on, sadly you may have to but see what others think too

I’m sorry that they have fallen out again :( I would try the two water bottles and bowls. We never split our two up as they were part of a group and were fine together most of the time and only had a couple of scraps but if it carries on, sadly you may have to but see what others think too
Ive have split them. In the night casper got attack very very badly. Hes still going about his day. Going vets today soon 👍. They are next door neighbours now. If i let it happen again i think he will be dead.

This time though casper has taken a chunk out of shadow. The dominant one. Hes on a war path, so aggressive.

I think casper will be losing one eye this time. I should have split them sooner

Really sorry about your boys, sounds like a nasty fight, hope they're both ok and vet trip goes well. Never had gerbils so can't really give any advice.

If blood has been drawn so badly then I would separate. It doesn't take long at all for Gerbils to kill each other if they fall out, i've had it happen myself. Is there any way you could make a mesh divide for the tank to they can still interact with each other?

If blood has been drawn so badly then I would separate. It doesn't take long at all for Gerbils to kill each other if they fall out, i've had it happen myself. Is there any way you could make a mesh divide for the tank to they can still interact with each other?
Their cages are literally touching bars to bars, so its the same thing basicly

Sounds good, as long as they can't get to each other. Hope all goes well at the vets.

Sounds good, as long as they can't get to each other. Hope all goes well at the vets.
Thanks, i will try to get antibiotics and then clean him up a bit, hes doing alot of it himself though, and hes still running in his wheel loads. Its funny how with gerbils its the females that tend to fight, and males rarely fall out. Opposite to guinea pigs.

No they cant get to eachother, just sniff.

I still believe it was them being next to abbi that started this all off. What a fool i was!

Females are a nightmare! It's always been my girls that have fallen out in the past, never my boys!

Oh I’m sorry that the fight was so bad :( Mine never took chunks out of each other, theirs was just a slight nip. It’s good that you’ve seperated them.

I hope all goes ok at the vets today and good luck getting the antibiotics in! I’ve had to do that myself

Its funny how with gerbils its the females that tend to fight, and males rarely fall out. Opposite to guinea pigs.
It's the same with chins, females are the blooming feisty ones and males tend to be a lot more chilled, it was definitely like that when Ped's sister Poppy was still with us. She was the boss!
Good luck with meds :)

I'm starting to doubt if hes going to get through this. Hes bad, but hes still eating and moving, hes still warm to touch. But because he cant see out of one eye, he has to turn his head just to see. Its the eye that is the worry for infection.

4, il make sure i get baytril, cant do much elsr really for him. I'm feeding him tiny bits of bell pepper for the goodness. And hes getting mealworms for protein.

I could really do with a hamster cage( the rubbish ones ) for him right now. Even a cheap as hell wilko one. Until he gets strength back.

Definitely good he's still eating, could be a bit in shock I suppose, must be a bit crazy when something like that happens to you, poor little guy.
When you say his eye, did that get bitten or scratched? Could be a good idea to ask for eye drops if vet thinks they could help?

Fingers crosses the vet will get him back up to his normal gerbil highjinks again. Poor little guy.

4, I could really do with a hamster cage( the rubbish ones ) for him right now. Even a cheap as hell wilko one. Until he gets strength back.
Could you take out any levels etc? Sorry can't remember what your cage looks like.

When Pedro was neutered many years ago I had to block off his cage to one level so didn't jump and wreck his stitches or hurt himself when he was still dozy and recovering. Any way you could rearrange so he can't do himself harm?

Back