• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

Casper has been bitten by his bro again.

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
Could you take out any levels etc? Sorry can't remember what your cage looks like.

When Pedro was neutered many years ago I had to block off his cage to one level so didn't jump and wreck his stitches or hurt himself when he was still dozy and recovering. Any way you could rearrange so he can't do himself harm?
I have used slate to cover the shelf part, so that its smooth, and have put a layer of wood over his ladder, so that he can go up and down easier, the ladder is a really shallow angle to start with. Most of his tank is digging depth. Between the shelf and the base layer, the drop is only around 2 or 3cm

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
Fingers crosses the vet will get him back up to his normal gerbil highjinks again. Poor little guy.
Only problem is, its pets at home vet and hes terrible, I'm literally grabbing antibiotics asap from him and I'm off. He doesnt handle gerbils very well, and has to read a text book to look things up on the spot

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Sounds good for cage, hopefully he can relax a bit before vets then. Now it's your turn for a little while!

It's typical it's a wknd when troubles arise! If you think eye drops would be good I'd def ask for those too if he's had trouble with it.
I seem to get stuck with those vets at wknds when I had my ratty boys and my chins, don't have a clue and can't hold them. Or are scared to! I've told them doses of meds cuz no idea!

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
He just took a bit of carrot and scoffed it then asked for another bit, Dot heard the knife chopping and screamed the house down lol.

Yea its always at the weekends, and i also can never get in the cat and rabbit care clinic now. Too busy, hes too good lol. This isnt something i can plan in advance, get more vets trained up please, they are in a bigger building now

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Hope he's ok! Good he's eating. Its always the weekend when problems happen, every medical emergency my pigs have had has been friday or saturday night or xmas eve!

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
I think hes going to be ok, hes just come out for a drink and some oats, then snuggled back up again. His brother has become a bit quiet. I might see if i can get two male pups to try a new pairing later on. But i have alot of research to do first

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
True, I had gerbils years ago and I loved the little rascals and they were absolute rascals with funny personalities hence I called them Tom & Jerry
Yea rascal pretty much hits the nail on the head with gerbils😊 cool name👍.

My white one is called Casper after the friendly ghost.

And his black brother is shadow because he followed him around

Helen82

Junior Guinea Pig
You can get eye drops for gerbils as I had to administer them to my girl Matilda when she had problems (this was about ten years ago now). I ultimately had a bad experience with her and a P@H vet which I still feel guilty about - as with guinea pigs they must obviously not see gerbils very often to get used to them or clued up about them. I've been to the emergency vets myself today with my piggie Stanley as he's scratched his eye with hay - we all send our very best wishes to Casper!

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
You can get eye drops for gerbils as I had to administer them to my girl Matilda when she had problems (this was about ten years ago now). I ultimately had a bad experience with her and a P@H vet which I still feel guilty about - as with guinea pigs they must obviously not see gerbils very often to get used to them or clued up about them. I've been to the emergency vets myself today with my piggie Stanley as he's scratched his eye with hay - we all send our very best wishes to Casper!
Thanks so so much, i really hope your pig is ok 👍