• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Casper has been bitten by his bro again.

Brilliant news that heā€™s on the up!
I think shadow did try to kill him, and casper went back at him this time, shadows lip is a bit wounded, but is healing.

Yea I'm very happy hes on the up. I might be putting up a gerbil bonding thread soon. If i decide to do it

Hope pedro is ok too x
He's ok thanks, plodding along like we do! Is eating a lot more than before, even with lots of noise and strange people in and out of my flat (as my bathroom was smashed up and replaced this week) :) x

Glad both of your boys are doing well today.

I think shadow did try to kill him, and casper went back at him this time, shadows lip is a bit wounded, but is healing.

Yea I'm very happy hes on the up. I might be putting up a gerbil bonding thread soon. If i decide to do it

It's such a shame you've had to split them up but it sounds like it was a really bad fight and I don't think there's any going back when it goes that far.

I've heard it 's difficult to bond gerbils but it can be done with the split cage method

It's such a shame you've had to split them up but it sounds like it was a really bad fight and I don't think there's any going back when it goes that far.

I've heard it 's difficult to bond gerbils but it can be done with the split cage method
Thats right , the split cage method is the only way to do it, apparently adding a pup is the best way to do it.

Casper and shadow have had 3 fights. Very one sided. Shadow is a big boy compared to casper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats right , the split cage method is the only way to do it, apparently adding a pup is the best way to do it.

Casper and shadow have had 3 fights. Very one sided. Shadow is a big boy compared to casper

Good luck if you do decide to bond them both with pups

My Albert is huge compared to his two brothers but he's also a big softy. I still don't know which ones the dominant one

Awww so glad little Casper is recovering, sending love and healing vibes that he continues to improve.

Good luck if you do decide to bond them both with pups

My Albert is huge compared to his two brothers but he's also a big softy. I still don't know which ones the dominant one
I have just read that the dominant gerbil will always groom the other one first.

I'm thinking about bonding them back together once all injuries have healed. I think Abbi being close, started this all off in the first place. I never used to wash my hands after handling her, then the boys.

Now Abbi has passed away, i will start a fresh, i just dont know how risky it is, I'm going to have to eventually set up a whole new cage, and new everything inside it, and see if they can get along.. i am going to sign up to the gerbil forum and get some tips

How long have they been together? Just wondering, no idea about gerbils as you know!
About a year. I have no idea if they are actually from the same litter, one thing that tells me they might be is that casper is fully white, and shadow does have white on one front paw and a little under his chin and he is slate grey in colour ( mix of white and black) They were fine up until i moved the female ( Abbi) next door to them, late last year. Then trouble began.

I had 2 male gerbils before called ollie and ash, and they had a female neighbour named Oak, we found ollie dead with half his face eaten one morning, looking back, was that a fight!? I thought ollie just passed away naturally, and ash had done the cleaning up process, this is what gerbils sometimes do in the wild to stop predators being attracted, they eat the dead gerbil.

Putting the puzzle pieces from the past back together, i think i may be on to something, its my own stupid fault!

I suppose every gerbil's different, so could have been anything that set them off fighting, guess you'll never know. With such a big fight this time think I'd be terrified to leave them together, you know gerbils much better than me though!

It's the same with rats, they'll sometimes 'dispose' of dead ratties when they've died by eating them. When I lost my lad Tobey (had a bone tumour and passed away overnight) I found him dead in bed with his brothers Ziggy and Ollie snuggled up, no marks on him. I'd read stories similar to your gerbil Ollie so was thankful they'd only had cuddles and nothing more horrifying!
May have just been that rather than a fight?

Hope all goes well whatever you decide to do, must be a hard decision!

I suppose every gerbil's different, so could have been anything that set them off fighting, guess you'll never know. With such a big fight this time think I'd be terrified to leave them together, you know gerbils much better than me though!

It's the same with rats, they'll sometimes 'dispose' of dead ratties when they've died by eating them. When I lost my lad Tobey (had a bone tumour and passed away overnight) I found him dead in bed with his brothers Ziggy and Ollie snuggled up, no marks on him. I'd read stories similar to your gerbil Ollie so was thankful they'd only had cuddles and nothing more horrifying!
May have just been that rather than a fight?

Hope all goes well whatever you decide to do, must be a hard decision!
Il be terrified to try them again. I'm doing research whilst casper is healing, apparently its best to move their cages to opposite sides of the room to let them forget eachother completely ( gerbils de clan if seperated over roughly 24 hours) this is what i want, we need a de clan and a fresh start, and for casper to heal and get his strength back, else he will be seen by shadow as a weak gerbil and he may start on him again. I dont know if i will try them again, depends what the gerbil forum reccomends.

Its tough because my decision could kill one of them. But then again my decision could make them live out unhappy bored lives.

If i do try them again, itl be 2 freshly cleaned cages, all new objects and toys. Then il neighbour them again right next door to one another, and keep swapping items and bedding, then il switch actual gerbils over into one anothers cages. Get them used to each others smell again, and go from there

Last edited by a moderator:
Back