• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Castration Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Reaction score
If a guinea pig is castrated will he get on with another male guinea pig better? This week I had Ginger castrated and I am hoping to get him a female but if a boy comes along that he gets on with.......? Just wondering if a castrated pigs will get on with each other better.

Mary

gus and jack

Reaction score
I don't believe that castration affects the nature of boars to any significant extent. They are sexually mature at such a young age that their male instincts are well and truly established before they are old enough to have their bits off, I think.

Abnoba

Reaction score
I agree - it wont make the piggy act any different, to the same OR the other sex.

he will be exactly the same, only that he cant get the girls pregnant anymore. nothing else really changes...

hopperhaven

Reaction score
Neutered boars are much the same as uneutered ones, except they are lucky enough to be able to live with sows. They would still live with a partner they were getting on with previously, but any new male-male introduction is still likely to result in fighting. Neutering is not of any use to patch up a shakey pairing either. A neutered boar might well accept a baby boar as would any other boar, but whether it worked long term would still be down to how their characters interact when the baby grows up.
It seems to me that it would not be fair making the boar go through the op and not to let him at least get a sow at the end of it. Cos boars really do love their sows :D Purrrrrrrrrumble.

sallym

Reaction score
hopperhaven said:
Neutered boars are much the same as uneutered ones, except they are lucky enough to be able to live with sows. They would still live with a partner they were getting on with previously, but any new male-male introduction is still likely to result in fighting. Neutering is not of any use to patch up a shakey pairing either. A neutered boar might well accept a baby boar as would any other boar, but whether it worked long term would still be down to how their characters interact when the baby grows up.
It seems to me that it would not be fair making the boar go through the op and not to let him at least get a sow at the end of it. Cos boars really do love their sows :D Purrrrrrrrrumble.
I think when Malcolm has settled I will have to find him a partner :D

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
Its widely believed it doesn't alter their behaviour at all. The only reasons for doing it are a) for medical reasons or b) to live with a sow. I think it sounds like the best thing for Ginger would be to go with a sow if he has been castrated already. Lucky him getting a girlfriend! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.