• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

cats and guinea pigs

It definitely helps that they have been around them since kittens. I saw the Bondi Vet on you tube once with his border terrier around his piggies. I had a border terrier at the time and mine could NOT be trusted. He chased anything that moved. So it does depend on the animal too. 👍🏻

i would never leave them unsupervised just wanted to see what they would be like incase bagel or toast quickly got into the room as they sprint in very fast however this hasn’t happened yet as we’re very careful
bagel more just wanted to smell her and bambi also smelled bagel and was showing no signs of stress to my knowledge
i’ll keep them away from eachother in the future thanks for your response

Please be aware that one of the prey animal instincts that guinea pigs have is playing 'uninteresting prey', seemingly going along and not exhibiting fear openly - the piggy that survives being played with by a bored predator will live to see another day. It is this instinct that trips up many owners into thinking their piggies are OK because the signs are very subtle as they have to also fool the predator. That also often goes for being handled and played with by humans until you have been really able to build up trust.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Having lost childhood piggies of mine to an attack by a neighbour's dog working its way through a badly maintained fence of theirs, I can only emphasize that species mixing is not a good idea and that the emotional fall-out (shock and a huge guilt load) from an attack is nothing that I wish any loving owner ever having to deal with.

I have 3 cats 3 piggies. My piggies are floor trained. They've never been in a cage. My cats are their best friends. They sleep together, eat together and groom each other. I've never separated them or had even a worry.

There was a video going around on facebook not long ago of a big dog cuddling and licking a guinea pig that made me shudder. My cats aren't allowed to be that close even though they have been brought up with guinea pigs from kittens. They know that the guinea pigs are out of bounds but you still can't fully trust them. I'm just lucky that my guinea pigs aren't phased by the cats
My cats and piggies are besties. They live 100% together in the open. And my cats are so trusted they have 24hr access. I don't cage my piggies. It's been 6 yrs without any issue of any kind.

My cats and piggies are besties. They live 100% together in the open. And my cats are so trusted they have 24hr access. I don't cage my piggies. It's been 6 yrs without any issue of any kind.
You’re very very lucky. I wouldn’t advocate all cats to live with piggies though. I suppose you know your pets. But I wouldn’t risk it.

You’re very very lucky. I wouldn’t advocate all cats to live with piggies though. I suppose you know your pets. But I wouldn’t risk it.

:agr: Even in my short time on the forum I've seen one too many pig deaths following an attack by a larger pet. I certainly wouldn't advocate taking this risk, even with my own elderly, chilled (and frankly disinterested) mog.

Can cats carry Bordatella, also?

Back