• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cause for Concern or just a Clumsy Piggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was cuddling one of my piggies (Grey) earlier when she decided she'd had enough and wanted to get back in her cage, so, as I always do I let her walk accoss my lap and jump back into her pen. This time however, I don't think she judged her leap right and clipped one of her back feet on the cage as she got it - she let out a couple of loud squeaks at the time and now seems to be limping a bit. :(

I have had a little feel of her leg and she doesn't squeaek or seem to particulatly mind it being touched.

She has been out playing with the others since it happened but it now sitting quitely in the house (which in fairness they all tend to do at this time of day).

I'm just a bit concerened at why she is limping and if I should take her to the vets or if she is just ater the sympaty vote! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy.

I would just keep an eye on her for the next few days. I had a scare myself in August when Erin suddenly started to limp and hold her front paw up. She was still eating, drinking and playing and after a few days, she was back to her normal self bouncing around :)

Keep an eye on her and try to see whether she is putting wieght on all legs - remember, the leg starts at the shoulder joint!

Misjudging jumps is not all that rare.

I would keep an eye on her to be sure that the limping stops and that she is not favouring the one paw. However, all my pigs have done this on occasion and no one has ever had to make a vet trip for it.

Thanks for your help.

She doesn't seem to be putting a lot of weight on it, I have just watched her run and she seems to be holding it up and then putting it down when she stops. :(

I feel awful for hurting her, but when she wants to go she wants to go so I just let her jump back in her house, its not been a problem until today. I've picked her up since and she still insist on jumping from my lap to her box, I would have thought she would have learnt her lesson! :)

Thanks for your help.

She doesn't seem to be putting a lot of weight on it, I have just watched her run and she seems to be holding it up and then putting it down when she stops. :(

I feel awful for hurting her, but when she wants to go she wants to go so I just let her jump back in her house, its not been a problem until today. I've picked her up since and she still insist on jumping from my lap to her box, I would have thought she would have learnt her lesson! :)

If the limping gets worse or persists for more than a couple of days, please have her seen by a vet.

It might help if you started setting her back down bum forward - that can help prevent bad jumps and landings with persistent offenders.

I'm thinking of taking her to the vets now, but I don't want to make a fuss over nothing and spend a whole heap if money unnecessarily.

She doesn't seem to be too ill to fight with her sister, all I can hear coming from the house is squeaks and squabbles! Although she does look a little bit sorry for herself.

Any physical injury could result in pain and infammation so metacam is probably the best bet for a few days to calm things down.

It's always worthwhile trying to get a stock of both metacam (painkiller) and an antibioitic (either septrin or baytril) by making the most of ay prescription you may get from your vet during the norma course of having your pets treated.

If this is your first time..and she doesn;t improve in a couple of days.....then you may HAVE to incur a vets fee...but she should only need a couple of days' worth of metacam and then you will have the rest of the bottle for any futire emergencies (and this is how piggie first aid kits are born! :(|):(|))

Hope she recovers OK - pleaase come back if you need further info/suggestions

And NO! - you;re not making a fuss over nothing......but equally I completely understand that you would rather not incur un-necessary vet costs......

x

Piggy Update!

Have just watched her and she is still saving her leg, sometimes. Earlier she was holding her leg up when she sat down and was looking rather grumpy. Now she's putting it on the ground when she sits and it's not always holding up up when she runs.
She has just tried to get on the mezzanine level in her house and struggled a bit, although she's managed to bash their Chube about and squabble with and chase her mum and sister quite nicely! xx

My Howard is limping (back left leg) and have followed the advice! Let's hope he gets better soon. One thing is for sure he has not lost his appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back