• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chanca Piedra Dosage Help

cloudyrodent

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! Recently my guinea pig has been diagnosed with bladder stones and along with the rest of his medication, my vet suggested that I also try chanca piedra in the hopes that the stones will dissolve so he doesn't have to get surgery. I purchased a bottle in liquid form from Amazon and my vet said to give him 1.2ml every 12 hours but the serving size for the product is 1ml. I'm not sure how much to give him. I was thinking of dissolving 1ml of the extract into a cup of water and then giving him 1.2ml from that? But I feel like he wouldn't be getting a lot of the product if it's dissolved in water maybe? Idk please help.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! Recently my guinea pig has been diagnosed with bladder stones and along with the rest of his medication, my vet suggested that I also try chanca piedra in the hopes that the stones will dissolve so he doesn't have to get surgery. I purchased a bottle in liquid form from Amazon and my vet said to give him 1.2ml every 12 hours but the serving size for the product is 1ml. I'm not sure how much to give him. I was thinking of dissolving 1ml of the extract into a cup of water and then giving him 1.2ml from that? But I feel like he wouldn't be getting a lot of the product if it's dissolved in water maybe? Idk please help.
Hi and welcome!

In the repeated experience of people on here, whether that is forum members or people joining specifically for the purpose of seeking alternative ways of getting rid of stones, chanca piedra does sadly not work for guinea pig bladder stones so we cannot recommend it in whatever concentration. It is sadly one of those 'on a wing and prayer medications' that have not stood the test of time. It's not worked in a single case on here in a good decade. :(
The only way to get rid of a stone is unfortunately by operation; ideally the sooner the better. How confident and experienced is your vet with guinea pigs?

I am very sorry for having to give you the bad news after you have made the purchase.