Change rescue pig names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do those who take in rescue pigs ever change their name? I picked up my new boy on Saturday and don't like the name he came with (Trey). Can't get used to it and it doesn't suit him. I prefer people names.

Feel a bit bad changing his name without his permission :D

C

cavykind

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to change a rescue guinea pigs name and it can help with the bonding process as it helps you to feel that the piggy is "specially" yours :)

I used to do a lot of work with cat and dog rescue and though it may initially prove a little confusing to the animals when their name changes, they very soon get used to it.

What name do you have in mind? Or are you still thinking about it :)

Barbara

Mary

Reaction score
This is just what we are going through at the mo! We have just had 2 boys come in and are called Rolo and Dipstick but really want to change them.

Mary

C

cavykind

sarahp said:
I might call him Colin :)
I don't think I've ever met a guinea pig called Colin before :D
I've got an Alfie, he was called that by our vet staff who he was handed in to before coming to us. I've also had a Timothy, Barnaby, Pablo, Jake, Jamie...my minds gone blank, there must have been more than that :)

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was thinking of Colin or Clive. But my other boys have two syllable names and it doesn't seem right when I say all of them together.

Also, a man came into the office this afternoon and he was called Colin. Everyone told me it's a sign that I should call him Colin ;D

C

cavykind

Mary said:
This is just what we are going through at the mo! We have just had 2 boys come in and are called Rolo and Dipstick but really want to change them.

Mary
There's nothing wrong with Rolo for a name >:( ;D
I had an old Chocolate boar come into rescue and I called him that!

I don't like Dipstick, what a shame. I took in a pretty little Tortie girl and when I asked her name they said "Slack-jaw." I thought to myself "Not anymore it ain't." I hate it when people call them stupid and ugly names. I know it's personal choice, but it's not nice.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Gemmah has a pig called Colin and he's lovely, makes me smile everytime she says hello Colin, especially as the builder next door's called Colin.

I have a rescue bun called Pippa who came in with the name Vera. She's such a pretty bunny, Vera really didn't suit her and I couldn't bring myself to say hello Vera so I changed it. MJ came in ready named and I kept it as it suited him somehow.

B

Beaney

Trixie is the only rescue that I have adopted and her name really suits her and goes well with the Tia and Tilly that I already have - so I have kept it.

Someone who posts on a rabbit forum I go on said that she always renames all her rescues (and she has a lot) because for her it is 'new start, new name'. Which I think is a really sweet idea.

At the end of the day, I think you need to be comfortable calling the piggy by it's name so I am all for changing it. I am sure the piggy is grateful for it's great new home and won't hold it against you ;)

B

bramble

I nearly always change the name , as cavy kind said it really does help to bond well , love colin ! i have a stanley, norman, sydney, chester,rufus, rupert, basil, toby, noah , mr pickles , bobby & teddy, boris (now sadly at the bridge) as well as the normal treacle, toffee,peanut & macvitie (hes ginger)
i really like the 'old' names hence norman, stanley ect it seems to really suit them too ! :D
my girls all have 'pretty' names ::)

J

Jillybean

sarahp said:
Do those who take in rescue pigs ever change their name? I picked up my new boy on Saturday and don't like the name he came with (Trey). Can't get used to it and it doesn't suit him. I prefer people names.

Feel a bit bad changing his name without his permission :D
I usually change the names but try to change it to something similar. I prefer people names too. The most recent guinea I got was Tinkerbell so I just shortened it to Bella. I have one called Toffee which I wish I'd changed but it would be too confusing now, especially as she's been to the vet under that name. Could you call him Trev or Troy? But I do think Colin is a good name for a guinea.

S

SpottedZebra

We only have one rescued pig. She was previously known as Fluffy! I didn't like it at all.
She is now called Treacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.