• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Change rescue pig names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do those who take in rescue pigs ever change their name? I picked up my new boy on Saturday and don't like the name he came with (Trey). Can't get used to it and it doesn't suit him. I prefer people names.

Feel a bit bad changing his name without his permission :D

C

cavykind

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to change a rescue guinea pigs name and it can help with the bonding process as it helps you to feel that the piggy is "specially" yours :)

I used to do a lot of work with cat and dog rescue and though it may initially prove a little confusing to the animals when their name changes, they very soon get used to it.

What name do you have in mind? Or are you still thinking about it :)

Barbara

Reaction score
This is just what we are going through at the mo! We have just had 2 boys come in and are called Rolo and Dipstick but really want to change them.

Mary

C

cavykind

sarahp said:
I might call him Colin :)
I don't think I've ever met a guinea pig called Colin before :D
I've got an Alfie, he was called that by our vet staff who he was handed in to before coming to us. I've also had a Timothy, Barnaby, Pablo, Jake, Jamie...my minds gone blank, there must have been more than that :)

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was thinking of Colin or Clive. But my other boys have two syllable names and it doesn't seem right when I say all of them together.

Also, a man came into the office this afternoon and he was called Colin. Everyone told me it's a sign that I should call him Colin ;D

C

cavykind

Mary said:
This is just what we are going through at the mo! We have just had 2 boys come in and are called Rolo and Dipstick but really want to change them.

Mary
There's nothing wrong with Rolo for a name >:( ;D
I had an old Chocolate boar come into rescue and I called him that!

I don't like Dipstick, what a shame. I took in a pretty little Tortie girl and when I asked her name they said "Slack-jaw." I thought to myself "Not anymore it ain't." I hate it when people call them stupid and ugly names. I know it's personal choice, but it's not nice.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Gemmah has a pig called Colin and he's lovely, makes me smile everytime she says hello Colin, especially as the builder next door's called Colin.

I have a rescue bun called Pippa who came in with the name Vera. She's such a pretty bunny, Vera really didn't suit her and I couldn't bring myself to say hello Vera so I changed it. MJ came in ready named and I kept it as it suited him somehow.

B

Beaney

Trixie is the only rescue that I have adopted and her name really suits her and goes well with the Tia and Tilly that I already have - so I have kept it.

Someone who posts on a rabbit forum I go on said that she always renames all her rescues (and she has a lot) because for her it is 'new start, new name'. Which I think is a really sweet idea.

At the end of the day, I think you need to be comfortable calling the piggy by it's name so I am all for changing it. I am sure the piggy is grateful for it's great new home and won't hold it against you ;)

B

bramble

I nearly always change the name , as cavy kind said it really does help to bond well , love colin ! i have a stanley, norman, sydney, chester,rufus, rupert, basil, toby, noah , mr pickles , bobby & teddy, boris (now sadly at the bridge) as well as the normal treacle, toffee,peanut & macvitie (hes ginger)
i really like the 'old' names hence norman, stanley ect it seems to really suit them too ! :D
my girls all have 'pretty' names ::)

J

Jillybean

sarahp said:
Do those who take in rescue pigs ever change their name? I picked up my new boy on Saturday and don't like the name he came with (Trey). Can't get used to it and it doesn't suit him. I prefer people names.

Feel a bit bad changing his name without his permission :D
I usually change the names but try to change it to something similar. I prefer people names too. The most recent guinea I got was Tinkerbell so I just shortened it to Bella. I have one called Toffee which I wish I'd changed but it would be too confusing now, especially as she's been to the vet under that name. Could you call him Trev or Troy? But I do think Colin is a good name for a guinea.

S

SpottedZebra

We only have one rescued pig. She was previously known as Fluffy! I didn't like it at all.
She is now called Treacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.